Alternate support options

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support Alternate support options

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Clay Martin 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Gorlash
    Participant

With progress on new version stalled, is there any possibility that the MEW team might consider trying to make some updates to ME2008 ?

After a couple of years of researching other editors (primarily PsPad and SynWrite), I’ve returned to MEW32, with a new appreciation of how powerful it really is!!

In truth, there is nothing about the existing product that could actually be called a *bug*, there are just some typical modern features absent, that I’d really appreciate having added. I would be *quite* happy to pay an upgrade fee to get a updated program.

Some features that I would really appreciate having would be:
    1. automatic highlighting of matching braces/parens (as opposed to the Ctrl-E option that we have now)

2. ability to re-arrange tabs by dragging (rather than having to depend upon the Windows addon, which is especially awkward because it doesn’t copy with the mew.config files)

3. there’s still the odd bug with the Bookmarks dialog; it used to show the text from the line where each bookmark was placed, but at some point that got lost, and doesn’t consistently work… that’s a bit of a bummer.

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    As for #3, Select View-Bookmarks (this is the one with the line text showing). If it shows up as a dialog, versus tool pane go to Tools-Customize-Windowing-Tool pane and select Dock Bookmark Dialog. Once you have done this that dialog should reappear on restart at the bottom.

As for #1, we must have different keyboard presets as Cntl-E does not map to anything. But In Tools-Customize-Language, select your language and press Edit Button, There is a field “Init”. If there is a macro there you can edit it and add a call to whatever macro Cntl-E is attached to and that function will happen every time a file for that language is opened. Or, you can go to Tools-Customize-Colors, select the color for your language and then select Brackets, give that a highlight that you like then hit Save.

For #2 go to View and select Windows. In the window pane (side pane) you can select files and use the up/down arrows to rearrange them. You can do other stuff from this pane too.

Hope this helps,
    Clay

Gorlash
    Participant

Okay, I think you mis-understood all of my comments.

1. I wish for *automatic* highlighting of braces, like other editors do. Right now, I have Ctrl-E mapped to the manual brace-highlighting method that you mentioned above, but as I commented in my original post, that is a much less desirable mechanism.

2. Yes, I’m aware of how to use the Windows-View pane, which is why I described the disadvantages of it compared to dragging tabs to re-arrange, like modern editors do.

3. I know how to use the bookmarks pane, I’ve been using it for many years. However, its behavior has changed in recent versions. The bookmarks pane shows a list of bookmarks, and that list *used to* actually show the line of code that each bookmark was on. Now, that list is initially blank, even if multiple bookmarks are present; it shows a checkmark for each bookmark, but no text.

So, to return to my original question:
    //****************************************************
    With progress on new version stalled, is there any possibility that the MEW team might consider trying to make some updates to ME2008 ?

In truth, there is nothing about the existing product that could actually be called a *bug*, there are just some typical modern features absent, that I’d really appreciate having added. I would be *quite* happy to pay an upgrade fee to get a updated program.

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    On the bookmarks pane I can see the lines of code that are bookmarked, but they are only added/updated if I use the bookmark tool pane, select one of the 99 and press the Set button. The Search-Set/Retrieve/Clear Random access marks is a completely different system and works only on the current file being edited. Those marks will not show up in the bookmark pane.

On the braces are you referring to all braces being separately colored/highlighted, on my system (for cmac, java, c, etc.) all ({[)}] are colored and highlighted upon opening of the file. Or are you referring to Tools-Match Language Structure where you put your cursor on a bracket, parentheses or if/then invoke the macro and have the cursor jump to the corresponding structure?

I know you can’t drag the tabs. I can check the MeX wish list, but I think the new UI API has that built in. I was told that all development efforts are focused on MeX and ME 11 will not have any more bug fixes or improvements.

Thanks,
    Clay

tlscales
    Participant

Any idea what the timeframe is for MeX and/or ME11?

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

I know that they are looking for remote developers to finish the project.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.