How to change <USER_PATH> metacommand value

Home Forums Multi-Edit Lite Support (Lite) How to change <USER_PATH> metacommand value

This topic contains 2 replies, has 574 voices, and was last updated by  tman 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

tman
    Participant

How to I change the <USER_PATH> metacommand value?

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    Hope this helps:

There are two basic configurations: Stand-Alone and networked. The sole difference between them is not, as you might surmise, the number of seats licensed, but whether you set Multi-Edit 2006 up to run as a local client or as a client/server application. This differs somewhat from the way in which previous versions of Multi-Edit worked. The salient features of the two Multi-Edit 2006 set ups are as follows:

· A stand-alone version installs to a local directory on the same machine it will be run from, and its various configuration files are by default located in subdirectories under the user user’s profile. The location of these file can be changed and is decribed below;

· A client/server version installs on a file server in a similar manner, but requires a directory, called the Access File Path, to contain the Network Access File. In addition, each user client installed is usually installed using the Net2006Setup.exe installed in the main Multi-Edit directory of the server. The location of a user’s configuration files are described below and allows each user complete control over every aspect of Multi-Edit’s configuration and customization, while requiring only one installed server executable. Each user’s personal configuration, including macros, templates, keymaps—any and all possible customization—is stored in his/her personal configuration directory, and takes precedence over its counterpart in the server installation.

1) The default location for the user’s configuration files, which is used when no Mew32.ini settings or environment variables are set, is the user’s Application Data directory.

c:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Multi Edit Software\ Multi-Edit\10\Config\

To permit non shared config files between different copies of the same major version of Multi-Edit such as Development, Test, and Test-03, the Mew32.ini file was introduced to allow modifing the Config

directory. The ini file contains a [config] section which can contain a "id=str" line. If the "id=" line where set to "id=-Dev" or "id=-Test", then the value of this string would be appended to the Config directory (Config-Dev and Config-Test) so that the configuration files would be separate from other copies of Multi-Edit.

Network versions of Multi-Edit can now use this method as well since the user’s configuration data is stored on the local machine by default instead of on the server.

2) If the default location is not desired, then the "Me100_Cfg_Dir" environment variable could be set to specify the directory where the configuration files are stored. This works similar to the way it did

in earlier versions when using a network version of Multi-Edit. This method also support the "Mew32.ini:config:id" feature as described above.

3) The third method would be used if a network administrator would like to lock down the configuration file location or using environment variables is not desired such as would be the case for mobileME users.

To set the configuration files path, the Mew32.ini file again is used but uses the "path=str" line. Setting the "Mew32.ini:config;path" variable to something like "path=d:\Data\Multi-Edit\10\Config" would

cause the configuration data to be stored in that directory. The "path=" variable can also use relative or UNC paths, i.e. "line=.\Config" would cause the data to be store in the Multi-Edit\Config directory just like older versions. For network admins that want to store the data on a network drive they could use

something like "path=\\Apache\d\Data\Multi-Edit\10\Users". When doing this, there needs to be a way to separate each user’s data so setting the "id=str" variable to something other than a blank will cause

Multi-Edit to look for the "Me100_Id=usr" environment variable to determine the name of the user’s specific configuration directory.

Setting "Me100_Id=ldh" would create a directory called "ldh.usr" in the

\\Apache\d\Data\Multi-Edit\10\User\ directory.

If the admin wants users to be prompted for their usr name then setting the environement variable "Me100_Log=1" will cause Multi-Edit to prompt for the user name when it starts.

The determining factor in which kind of installation occurs, is simply setting the Access File Path when installing Multi-Edit. If it isn’t defined, then you’re performing a Stand-Alone installation.

Thanks,
    Clay

tman
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll check this out when I have a little free time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.