Reply To: Align tab-delmited data into columns (like a table or excel)

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit User Created Macros Align tab-delmited data into columns (like a table or excel) Reply To: Align tab-delmited data into columns (like a table or excel)

ReidSweatman
Participant

All the options you mentioned are possible using the scheme I mentioned. To space all delimited columns to some fixed offset from the previous column, you just need one variable per column, to keep track of the offset required to guarantee adjacent columns don’t overlap; then add in the fixed offset. That was the scheme I originally proposed, where I thought you wanted the columns spread out and aligned vertically.

If you just want one column aligned, and the others left as-is (where possible; obviously, it may not be, depending on the amount of shift), you use the same basic algorithm, but only do the trick in the original version for the current column. For following columns, you simply store the original column locations (or even simpler, cut the following text to a string variable first, adjust the one column, and paste the string back in at it’s original location (unless it’s been overrun by the column you just moved, in which case you can either simply overwrite–I’d guess not–or adjust that one column–and all the other trailing columns, if you want).

The point is, however you want the column alignment to work, you can write a macro to do it that way, and most of the ways won’t even be all that different. So go ahead and buy the most recent version, because you can get what you want. ;)