Reply To: Access violations when opening files from the command line.

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support Access violations when opening files from the command line. Reply To: Access violations when opening files from the command line.

Michal Vodicka
Participant

Weird. There is something wrong with no doubts but now I can only suggest few things to try:

– try to remove -SR from MEW command line. It won’t restore previous session and only open the file. If it helps, you can try to start MEW with -SR by hand and left it running. Opens from the app should go to this MEW instance.

I’m suggesting this because encountered few crashes on session restore/switch, too, but never had time to find what caused it.

BTW, the dialogs you posted doesn’t match with your problem description. They’re clear crashes and it is really strange if MEW continues running. Isn’t it possible the app starts multiple MEW instances at once? It would explain it; one instance wins and other crash. Try following:

– reproduce problem until the first error and then examine how many MEW instances (mew32.exe process) are running using Task Manager Processes tab (not Applications) or System Internals’s Process Explorer.

– try to add -NI to MEW command line and maybe you’d see several MEW instances starting.

The next thing you can try is to limit CPU number used by OS. Setting process affinity isn’t enough if problem is caused for example by concurrent network access processing. Please note even if it helps, it wouldn’t be a solution, I’m just interested.

Limit OS to use one cpu only can be done using /ONECPU switch in the boot.ini file. Beware, if you corrupt or destroy this file, OS won’t boot. You can clone the current OS start line by hand like this (from my system):

[code:9fqisuyw]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="XP one CPU" /fastdetect /noguiboot /onecpu /NoExecute=OptIn
[/code:9fqisuyw]

(do NOT copy this line, your probably differs!). The next possibility is to use bootcfg OS supplied utility (try bootcfg /?, I never used it myself). If you don’t know what I’m speaking about, forget it. It needs some previous experience and knowledge in this area.