Reply To: truncated text

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support truncated text Reply To: truncated text

David Morris
Participant

Oh, I agree that it should be fixed, I was merely offering a suggestion for the meantime.

I don’t work directly for MESI but I’ve been using Multi-Edit for many (12+) years, since the ME-DOS days (v5 I think was my first version). I was also part of the initial MEW (v7) beta team, and I’ve contributed code to the development of 9.0 and 9.1. Thus my experience with ME goes pretty far back, so if you’ll allow me I’ll provide my opinion and perspective on the product.

In my experience, MEW is a great tool — I’ve used most of the other programmer’s editors and many of the IDE’s on the market, and perhaps with the exception of the Eclipse editor when coding Java, MEW blows all of them away. However I would be dishonest to pretend there aren’t shortcomings in the product, areas where they’ve lagged behind the competition or do some non-standard things, and invariably those are areas of legacy code. A surprising amount of MEW architecture was ported over from DOS, which was both a blessing and a curse. A blessing in the sense that it was a robust and reliable architecture on DOS, familiar to those of us who knew ME-DOS inside and out and had tons of macros to port over. But a curse from the standpoint of Windows compliance and an open, event-driven, object-oriented design. It’s a design that forces some limitations on how things are done, and I think MESI and its developers have done a great job within the confines of the architecture they have to work with. We have to remember that in terms of commercial software, there isn’t nearly the market and margins in programmer’s editors that exist in other tools and software, especially at the price MESI charges. MESI can’t simply throw it all away and write a new editor from scratch as powerful and feature-rich as MEW in a way that makes any business sense. So it’s going to be an iterative refactoring process to rid itself of these types of legacy issues. I know for a fact, from personal experience and a part-time working relationship with them, that the MESI development team is constantly and continuously working to improve the product, and they most definitely listen to and respect their customers’ opinions.

I’m not making excuses for the product, I’m simply trying to give you some perspective on its background and the reasons why some things work the way they do. I urge you to be patient with MEW and get to know it, I think you’ll find it an excellent tool for the relatively small amount of money that it costs.