Reply To: Tab interpretation vs Tab expand

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support Tab interpretation vs Tab expand Reply To: Tab interpretation vs Tab expand

Bret Sutton
Participant

No. Interesting idea, though. I wonder if the lack of response indicates that they’re trying to think of a way to make ME do that… :!:

ME would need some way to distinguish between a press of the Tab key to mean indentation, and a press of the Tab key to mean ‘insert a tab character’. You can’t just say ‘consider tabs at the front of the line to be indentation and consider embedded tabs to be real tab characters’ because then you couldn’t enter tab characters at the front of the line. I would be interested to see how your other editor does it.

I don’t agree that a standard tab stop is generally accepted as 8 spaces. It depends on what the context is. Consider, for example, a column-sensitive language like RPG. In COBOL, tab stops for indentation are generally 8-2-2-… or 8-3-3-… or 8-4-4-… In assembly language, I never used 8-character tab stops. And some people commonly export CSV data with tab delimiters, where, if you want to display the file in a column-oriented manner, you need to pick a tab setting greater than the maximum length of any one field in the file.