Reply To: Global replace of tab char does not always work

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support Global replace of tab char does not always work Reply To: Global replace of tab char does not always work

Bret Sutton
Participant

That would work fine if I wanted to convert each tab character to an arbitrary number of spaces. But I want to convert each tab character to a single other character. The search-and-replace will work just fine as long as I have ‘Expand tabs to tabs’ checked.

This is my first venture into using the ‘Expand tabs to tabs’ option, and I just ran into something else. I’m creating a new file, and I type in "one<tab>two<tab>three". In hex mode, I expect to see this:[code:2ttx34cg]6F 6E 65 09 01 01 01 01 74 77 6F 09 01 01 01 01 74 68 72 65 65[/code:2ttx34cg]but instead I see this:[code:2ttx34cg]6F 6E 65 20 20 20 20 20 74 77 6F 20 20 20 20 20 74 68 72 65 65[/code:2ttx34cg]If, however, I use [Alt][KP-0,0,9] or [Ctrl-I] instead of the tab key, a tab character is inserted, and the result does look like the first example above. In other words, the Tab key is still inserting spaces.

Why?

Well, that turns out to be a rhetorical question. It’s because the Tab key is assigned to the Tab macro. If I remove that assignment, then the Tab key will insert either a tab or spaces, depending on the ‘Tab expand’ setting. So I guess the question then becomes, why wasn’t the Tab macro coded with[code:2ttx34cg]Text("\t");[/code:2ttx34cg]rather than[code:2ttx34cg]Tab_Right;[/code:2ttx34cg]Rhetorical once again: an unmodified Tab key always acts as if it’s in insert mode. And an unmodified Shift-Tab does exactly the same thing as the Tab (it doesn’t go backwards). So the Tab macro is forced to use Tab_Right and Tab_Left. Which prevents it from inserting real tab characters. Of course, I can run Text | Convert tabs. But that will also convert runs of spaces that I have entered. In other words, it cannot distinguish when I have used the Tab key and when I have used the space bar.

What we have here is a conflict between a stream of symbols and control characters, and their representation in two-dimensional space. Should the Tab key generate an actual tab character in that space? If so, then what does that imply about the Shift-Tab (Backtab)? Wormholes and relativity, I believe! :lol: