Reply To: How do I disable internal copy buffers permanently?

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support How do I disable internal copy buffers permanently? Reply To: How do I disable internal copy buffers permanently?

deleyd
Participant

The two checkboxes I know of which affect the paste buffers are:

"Standard copy uses the paste buffers" (checkbox)
In TOOLS -> CUSTOMIZE -> Editing -> Clipboard
When selected Multi-Edit will use paste buffers 1 – 9 as a circular queue of buffers to cut/copy to whenever a cut/copy operation is performed.

"Show paste buffers when copying",
Only effective if previous checkbox is checked ("Standard copy uses the paste buffers" )

Also, you mention

what I copy in windows is NOT what comes through when I attempt to paste in ME.[/quote:37u9e050]
There is a "Paste Special" command which always copies from the Windows Paste Buffer instead of the Multi-Edit Paste Buffer. Multi-Edit usually detects when the contents of the Windows Paste Buffer has changed and will copy it to its own internal paste buffer 0. But sometimes it doesn’t. So "Paste Special" command was added. That is under EDIT -> PASTE SPECIAL, and you can assign a key to that (I assigned CTRL-D to it). See

My EDX add-on gives direct access to all 10 paste buffers, rather than using a circular queue. Here is the documentation from EDX:

DISCUSSION OF PASTE BUFFERS
Multi-Edit has ten paste buffers numbered 0 – 9. Paste buffer 0 (zero) is the ordinary paste buffer. EDX keypad 6 key cuts to paste buffer 0, GOLD ‘Page Down’ copies to paste buffer 0, and GOLD keypad 6 pastes from paste buffer 0.

In addition to paste buffer 0, there are also paste buffers 1 – 9. These may be accessed using "Copy to Paste Buffer n" (GOLD P), "Paste from Paste Buffer n" (GOLD O), and "Goto Paste Buffer n" (GOLD B). These commands prompt you to enter a digit by writing "Enter buffer number (0-9):" in the message line. You then press a digit key. Keypad digit keys also work. Any non-digit key aborts.

Paste buffers actually keep EVERYTHING ever cut or copied to them. The selected block of text in the paste buffer is what gets pasted back when you do a paste. If you want to recover some text you cut or copied to a paste buffer earlier in your editing session you can go to that paste buffer, scroll up, select the text you want to recover, do a "copy to paste buffer" (GOLD ‘Page Down’), then switch back to your file and paste (GOLD keypad 6). (This works even if you’re recovering text from paste buffer 0).

EDIT -> SHOW BUFFER will display paste buffer 0.
VIEW -> PASTE BUFFERS will display a dialog of paste buffers 1 – 9.

"Standard copy uses the paste buffers" (checkbox)
When selected Multi-Edit will use paste buffers 1 – 9 as a circular queue of buffers to cut/copy to whenever a cut/copy operation is performed. I don’t care for this, but you can play with it if you like. I prefer to have paste buffers 1-9 static for my own use.

"Show paste buffers when copying",
Only effective if previous checkbox is checked ("Standard copy uses the paste buffers" )

Cut Selected Range
(Keypad 6)
Removes the selected range of text and places it in the paste buffer. The text may later be restored at a new cursor position by using the ‘Paste’ command (GOLD Keypad 6).

Paste
(GOLD Keypad 6)
Inserts the contents of the paste buffer at the current cursor position. The contents of the paste buffer are unaffected.

Copy Selected Range to paste buffer
(GOLD ‘Page Down’ edit key)
Copies (without removing) the selected range of text to the paste buffer. The previous contents of the paste buffer are erased. The text may later be restored at a new cursor position by using the ‘Paste’ command (GOLD keypad 6).

Copy to Paste Buffer n (Pick)
(GOLD P)
Prompts for a digit (0-9) and copies (without removing) the current selected block of text to that paste buffer. (Writes "Enter buffer number (0-9):" in the message line, you then press a digit key. Any non-digit key aborts. Keypad digit keys also work.) If no block of text is marked then it copies the current line to that paste buffer. Paste buffer 0 (zero) is the ordinary paste buffer. The text may later be restored at a new cursor position by using the ‘Paste from Buffer n’ command (GOLD O). See "Discussion of Paste Buffers" below for further information.

Paste from Paste Buffer n
(GOLD O)
Prompts for a digit (0-9) and then inserts the selected block contents of the specified paste buffer at the current cursor position. The contents of the specified paste buffer are unaffected. (Writes "Enter buffer number (0-9):" in the message line, you then press a digit key. Keypad digit keys also work. Any non-digit key aborts.) See "Discussion of Paste Buffers" below for further information.

Goto Paste Buffer n
(GOLD B)
Prompts for a digit (0-9) and goes to that paste buffer. (Writes "Enter buffer number (0-9):" in the message line, you then press a digit key. Keypad digit keys also work. Any non-digit key aborts.) Only one paste buffer is displayed at a time. Paste buffer 0 (zero) is the ordinary paste buffer. You may close the Buffer.n window when you are done with it without loosing the paste buffer and its contents. Do NOT "Hide" any paste buffer window, as this will cause chaos to screen management. See "Discussion of Paste Buffers" below for further information.