Reply To: Pasting column block and cursor position using Brief emu

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support Pasting column block and cursor position using Brief emu Reply To: Pasting column block and cursor position using Brief emu

robert.martin
Participant

There’s one thing you can try. We can add /A=2 to the paste command. I’m assuming you’re using the Brief command mapping.

1. Go to TOOLS -> CUSTOMIZE
I’m assuming it says "Brief Emulation" there (right above the Keys/Commands button)

2. Click the Keys/Commands button to get the Command Mapping window.

3. In the Command Mapping window click Search (right side), and enter "Paste" (without the quotes) in the "Search For" field (with "Field Name" set to "Name".) And click OK. It should find "Paste from buffer".

4. Click ‘Edit’ to edit the "Paste from buffer" command. The command line will say PastePlus. Add to the end of this a space and then "/A=2", so we have the Command Line as [code:3shymkgd]PastePlus /A=2[/code:3shymkgd].

5. Click OK and exit all that.

Test it out and see if it does what you want. If not, we can still modify it to do what you want. Let me know.

There’s also a Paste Special command in that Command Mapping window. It’s currently not assigned to any key, so no need to change it unless sometime in the future you want to use it and you want the /A=2 behavior. Just repeat the above steps for "Paste Special".

For more on doing this kind of modification, with pictures that may help, see

This works if I copy columns from a single line, but if I copy columns from more than one line, it doesn’t work. So basically, if I have a copy buffer with a height of 1, it works. If the buffer contains a height of characters more than 1, it doesn’t work like I want it to.

What I want may not be possible, but what has me perplexed is how this functionality isn’t truly how Brief worked. It’s almost there, but not quite. To me, it seems like the Brief emulation itself needs improving.