A couple of annoyances

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support A couple of annoyances

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Bristow
    Participant

1)
    When i load a large number of files that create multiple rows of tabs at the top of the page, the loaded file windows are not set within the multi-edit window area. This is more a gripe than a real complaint.
    I am forced to resize every window.

2)
    When i highlight and copy some text on one window then with my mouse click once on the text in another window, the word i clicked on is highlighted, which is very annoying. Is this a ‘Feature’ that can be disabled?

3)
    When i initially load Multi-Edit Lite the all the project files loaded show their filenames in bold. When i alt-tab and back again, the bold is removed. This is only an asthetic issue unless it is related to issue 1) :?:

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

1-Check the option Tools-Customize-Windowing create first window maximized

2- Usualy a word is highlighted on the second click (line on third) and while I have had this happen to me, its because I double clicked(really fast) on accident. Note that unlike "windows" double click, ME does not care about the time between clicks. Click on a word once, no highlight, get coffee, click again, its highlighted.

3- You might play with Tools-Customize-Windowing-Tab Bar options

HTH
    Clay

deleyd
    Participant

You can also try WINDOW -> CASCADE, or there’s a toolbar button on the main toolbar which also does this.

I’m trying to understand your #2 question. You highlight some text, then CTRL-C to copy that text to the paste buffer, then switch to another window, then CTRL-V to paste that text, then click the mouse somewhere else not on the pasted text, and it highlights the word the mouse is on?

What are your settings under CUSTOMIZE -> TOOLS -> EDITING -> BLOCKS -> OPTIONS ? Which ones are checked?

John Martzouco
    Participant

2- Usualy a word is highlighted on the second click (line on third) and while I have had this happen to me, its because I double clicked(really fast) on accident. Note that unlike "windows" double click, ME does not care about the time between clicks. Click on a word once, no highlight, get coffee, click again, its highlighted.[/quote:5po9c65m]
    I get the word to the left of where I click my mouse highlighted on first click all the time when I’m moving from "Tool Pane/Output" tab to the source file in the edit pane. Very annoying.

deleyd
    Participant

I get the word to the left of where I click my mouse highlighted on first click all the time when I’m moving from "Tool Pane/Output" tab to the source file in the edit pane. Very annoying.[/quote:1a1o2aj3]
    I don’t get that when I try it.

Next step would be to post here as an attachment your MeConfig.db & Wcmdmap.db files so we can try to reproduce the problem. (From your C:\Program Files\Multi-Edit\Config\ directory)

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

John Martzouco wrote:

I get the word to the left of where I click my mouse highlighted on first click all the time when I’m moving from "Tool Pane/Output" tab to the source file in the edit pane. Very annoying.[/quote:pgejvcd0]

I can’t duplicate this behavior either (ME10.03 XP). By Tool Pane/Output do you mean like search results or FTP log?

John Martzouco
    Participant

By Tool Pane/Output do you mean like search results or FTP log?[/quote:84fj5ehh]
    I mean by Compile results.

Next time it happens, I’ll grab the config files and write out precise steps to reproduce… although… it is 9.10.04 and maybe I’ll wait until I move up to the newest (with nice Unicode addition) version before I pursue this.

Oddly enough :oops: it doesn’t happen all the time.

Gee, I wish this Forum had a way to bookmark messages so I can find this in two months (hint hint… I remember ).

Clay Martin
    Keymaster
    John Martzouco
    Participant

That works fine if you only use one computer. I do as much brwosing from home and the library as I do from work… not as elegant a solution when you factor that in.

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

I guess…. For me home.location==work.location, and my connection is faster than our rural library. :lol:

But thats just me, I wonder if Firefox could be setup on a USB like the USB thingy for ME. Then you could carry your browser with you. Probably wouldn’t work for Vista, ‘course it seems a lot of things don’t work on Vista. I don’t use this feature much but my daughter keeps her email (Eudora) on a USB. Of course Eudora doesn’t use the windows registry, and is connecting to the pop3 on our server, so any internet connection is fine. My wife tried this but it didn’t work out. Most of the places she has to be "onsite" have so many security restrictions on their firewall and interior network that she could not directly connect to an outside server (and large bureaucracies do not change the rules for anyone!)

I love the ME on USB, I mean what programmer doesn’t want to have a comeback to the line "Is that a editor in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" 8)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wonder if Firefox could be setup on a USB like the USB thingy for ME. Then you could carry your browser with you. [/quote:2bzf7ukd]

That is possible, there’s a patched version of Firefox that does exactly that.
    See http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Jonathan Bristow
    Participant

Thanks for all your help people, i have somewhat lost some of the above threads. Nevertheless i had forgotten about window>>cascade option.

So to recap the most annoying issue i had was that everytime i loaded ME Lite the font in the tab bars was showing bold and when i alt-tabbed back to ME the font was restored to no-bold.
    This also had a rather ugly side effect…
    When you initially open ME and the bold font is shown, the tab bar expanded to several more lines to accomodate the larger font and so (in turn) shifted the edit windows down (and off screen).
    I did as suggested and checked the windows tab bar font and that seems to have fixed the temp font and in turn sorted the windows moving beyond the ME window boundary.
    Thanks people.

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

That is possible, there’s a patched version of Firefox that does exactly that.
    See http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable[/quote:m2g7no1p]

Thanks for the link! Works great. Still looking for a FF extension that will allow me to sync my bookmarks without using someone else’s online storage. So many unsorted extensions so little time… :roll:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.