annoying application error in 9.10.04

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support annoying application error in 9.10.04

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    roy199
    Participant

Any patches for ME 9.10.04?

I’m getting these errors periodically. ME will work fine for a while, then these errors pop up again:

“the instruction at “0x4000571a” referenced memory at “0x00b48d78”. The memory could not be “read”. Click on OK to terminate the program.

When I click OK, I get these:

“runtime error 216 at 4000572a”

Click OK again then I get another error like above with “reference memory” with address 0x4000572a”

Click OK to this dialog and I another runtime 216 error with address as 0x4000572a.

I then get another “referenced memory” error with 0x40006834 address

Another 216 error with address 0x40006834.

Another “referenced memory” error with address 0x400e63e6.

Another 216 error with address 0x400e63e6.

Thanks for any info!

Ken Walker
    Participant

Any chance you are running on a 64 bit machine?

roy199
    Participant

No, this is 32 bit 2 cpu xeon system. The OS is windows 2003 server and sp1.

Carloche
    Participant

Also, how much memory does your system have and how many other applications are you running. And, is it any specific function in Multi-Edit that causes this error or is it occurring at random times?

wom
    Participant

I also get exactly the same error as the original poster mentioned. I’m on a Windows XP Professional box, have plenty of memory and disk and every else. It has done this to me for quite some time, even before the .04 patch. It does happen with other apps running but thats only a coincidence. I have had it happen with nothing else running, just trying to start Multi-Edit (but almost always it is when you have passed command line filenames to open).

It happens most frequently to me when I have my compiler running and it hits an error. At that point it calls Multi-Edit to start and feeds it command line params of the source file and the error file names. ME tries to start (gets all the way painted, splash screen then the two files show) and then it pops the error before I get control. You have to acknowledge about four error boxes and then you can just go on like normal. Sometimes but not always then the fonts are weird. If the fonts are normal you can exit no problem. If the font has also been blown then when you exit you will get additional error messages you have to acknowledge.

For me its about 95% of the time during startup of ME when it is totally down. But I have on rare occasions had it happen if ME was already up and the compiler called it again with new file names.

My machine is a single processor but does have hyperthreading and that is on. I don’t know if its a coincidence or not because I also put on new versions of ME about the same time that I got this machine but I do NOT remember it ever happening with my old system.

It just happened and I captured some screens. If you want to see those let me know how to get them to you. They’re not too exciting just showing what I described above. Command line start (called from my compiler), two files showing and error box pops before I got control.

Sometimes I go for several days and never see the errors. Some days I will see it happen probably 5 to 8 times during the day, just depends on how intense I’m doing compile/change cycles.

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

Just curious: why do you call MEW “from your compiler”? (I’m not quite sure what it exactly means). Usuall approach is to start compiler from MEW which captures compiler output, parses it and finds errors.

As a workaround you can try to start MEW before, leave it running and when your compiler start another copy, it will simply send files to already running one and exit. I use this way when want to initiate editing from command line or file manager, works with no problem.

It would help if you exactly describe the system you’re using. I mean CPU type, frequency, memory size, OS version including SPs and unusual software running. Especially anything from Symantec, mainly NAV (if so, try to disable on-line scanning). The problem may be related to hyperthreading but I do use real dual CPU systems for years and haven’t noticed this problem.

wom
    Participant

“Just curious: why do you call MEW “from your compiler”? (I’m not quite sure what it exactly means). Usuall approach is to start compiler from MEW which captures compiler output, parses it and finds errors. ”

Because I’m not working on an individual file all the time. I’m running a script file that is calling the compiler repeatedly to compiler many, many sets of files that compose a LARGE set of libraries that eventually get used to build various applications. For example the Modula-2 alone is 1.7 million lines of code (there is also Ada and Delphi code) and requires about 7 separate compiles to completely compile it. Just one of those compiles is composed of 509 files by itself. The compiler has defined in it that when it hits an error it calls an external program to handle it. I’ve defined ME as the recipient of the call which includes the source file name and the error file. So the compiler starts and is chugging on over 500 files. When it hits an error it fires up ME to let me take care of it.

“As a workaround you can try to start MEW before, leave it running and when your compiler start another copy, it will simply send files to already running one and exit. I use this way when want to initiate editing from command line or file manager, works with no problem.”

As stated in my original message it reduces the error for me but does NOT eliminate it. I still see the error even when ME is already running sometimes.

“It would help if you exactly describe the system you’re using. I mean CPU type, frequency, memory size, OS version including SPs and unusual software running. Especially anything from Symantec, mainly NAV (if so, try to disable on-line scanning). The problem may be related to hyperthreading but I do use real dual CPU systems for years and haven’t noticed this problem.”

I had a dual processor machine before this and never had the problem with ME. On this single processor with hyperthreading I have the problem but as stated I did change my version of ME about the same time as I changed systems so I’ve never been sure just who the culprit is.

System is a Dell Optiplex GX270

CPU Type/Frequency: Pentium 4 single CPU (with hyperthreading) at 2.60 GHz

Memory size: 512 MB of RAM

Hard Drive: 80 Gig hard drive, 40 gig free

OS Version: Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 and several additional security updates

Software: (NO Symantec or NAV). The error can happen when only (and I do mean ONLY) one other program is up which is Trend Micro Officescan (which I cannot disable or alter in any way). That happens when from a command prompt I call up ME and also give it a command line of some filenames. It also happens when one or any combination of the following are also running: Delphi 2005, StonyBrook Modula-2 compiler, StonyBrook Ada compiler, Lotus Notes, Internet Explorer, Component Software Revision Control Sytem, MS Word, MS Excel, InstallShield X, DemoShield 7.5 or any number of applications that I’ve built myself. However as noted it can and DOES happen with nothing else running so I think the problem is unrelated to other software.

roy199
    Participant

The system has 1GB of RAM and plenty of disk space. Windows resources does not seem to be the problem.

I’m not doing anything fancy with ME. I am just using ME as an editor.

There is no procedure that I put my finger on to duplicate the series of errors.

I usually have several source files opened at once. Sometimes just making the ME app have focus will cause the error to pop up. Sometimes it happens once or twice a day, then nothing for several days, then the error again.

Is there any debug tracing in ME that can be turned on?

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

Because I’m not working on an individual file all the time. I’m running a script file that is calling the compiler repeatedly to compiler many, many sets of files that compose a LARGE set of libraries that eventually get used to build various applications. [/quote:1gahqowr]

OK, I understand, it is some kind of build engine. We use something similar in my company but it is also possible to start it directly from MEW. But yes, I do it usually only when work on part of project which creates one binary and for long builds start it from command line.

CPU Type/Frequency: Pentium 4 single CPU (with hyperthreading) at 2.60 GHz[/quote:1gahqowr]

Can you, just for the sake of experiment, try to disable hyperthreading for a while and see if anything changes? It can be important to see if it is related or not because if it is, it is probably race conditions somewhere which is kind of the worst problems to solve.

This is nothing against hyperthreading, it just uncovers more hidded bugs than single threaded CPU. More CPU uncovers even more bugs but race conditions can be very sensitive to timing which are different in all three cases.

However as noted it can and DOES happen with nothing else running so I think the problem is unrelated to other software.[/quote:1gahqowr]

This is probable. Usually the only software which causes problems with other software are antiviruses. They change both timing and OS behaviour and some behave incorrectly. I have no experience with Trend Micro and it shouldn’t cause problems if scans Office files only. However, could you ask somebody with necessary rights to check its settings and if it scans everything, disable it for a while?

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

The system has 1GB of RAM and plenty of disk space. Windows resources does not seem to be the problem.[/quote:24h2mshe]

The problem can be related to exact CPU speed and type, not to lack of resources. That’s why I ask for detailed description. Maybe it wouldn’t help at all but it is always good to have as much info as possible. Nobody can decide which piece of info is important until problem cause it found.

Is there any debug tracing in ME that can be turned on?[/quote:24h2mshe]

Unfortunately not or not yet. Even worse, Delphi runtime plays such bad games with exceptions that displayed addresses are usually useless. I just looked and there is nothing which’d help because addresses you reported are probably unrelated to the original problem.

fdporter
    Participant

I have been getting similar errors for several weeks now – “Instruction at 0x40008f98” referenced memory at “0x00e65788”. I got it 90% of the time if I exited ME without closing my documents first. The only way to clear the error message is to reboot. I think I finally figured out what was wrong, thanks to another error message I got today about a DDE Server error. I had disabled my two Network DDE services on my XP SP2 machine (I.T. people – always messing with their computers!). I set them to manual, started the first one, and opened ME with two files. I then exited without closing the files/windows, but never got the error message. In short, see if your computer’s Network DDE services are running!

Bonkers
    Participant

I have been getting similar errors for several weeks now – “Instruction at 0x40008f98” referenced memory at “0x00e65788”. I got it 90% of the time if I exited ME without closing my documents first. The only way to clear the error message is to reboot. I think I finally figured out what was wrong, thanks to another error message I got today about a DDE Server error. I had disabled my two Network DDE services on my XP SP2 machine (I.T. people – always messing with their computers!). I set them to manual, started the first one, and opened ME with two files. I then exited without closing the files/windows, but never got the error message. In short, see if your computer’s Network DDE services are running![/quote:2nci493m]

Excellent. This fixed the problem.

Bonkers
    Participant

Excellent. This fixed the problem.[/quote:1jil911k]

Opps, spoke too soon. Bugger. :-)

ketivar
    Participant

Any patches for ME 9.10.04?

I’m getting these errors periodically. ME will work fine for a while, then these errors pop up again:

“the instruction at “0x4000571a” referenced memory at “0x00b48d78”. The memory could not be “read”. Click on OK to terminate the program.

When I click OK, I get these:

“runtime error 216 at 4000572a”

Click OK again then I get another error like above with “reference memory” with address 0x4000572a”

Click OK to this dialog and I another runtime 216 error with address as 0x4000572a.

I then get another “referenced memory” error with 0x40006834 address

Another 216 error with address 0x40006834.

Another “referenced memory” error with address 0x400e63e6.

Another 216 error with address 0x400e63e6.

[/quote:16aex31b]

I get these errors too. It only happens to me when I open a file in Windows explorer. If I double click a file that is associated to open in ME, the file will open but then the error dialogue windows pop up. I get the first Mew32.exe Application Error, click OK, then the Runtime error pops up. I end up getting 8 of these messages in total.

It only happens occasionally. Not every time I open a file via Windows explorer (maybe 33% of the time).

David_OTSINC
    Participant

I too get MEW32.exe Instruction at 0x4000572a, memory at 0x00a58d88 could not be “read”. Followed by many various RUNTIME 216 @ 4000572a errors.

They come, they go. usually, they don’t screw me up, just scare me.

It happens to me when I close the Editor.

Windows XP 2002 SP 2
    Pentium 4 2.6 GHz, 1 GB RAM
    Norton AntiVirus, Microsoft Giant AntiSpyware
    APC Power Chute Personal Edition
    FireFox, Yahoo,

Why do we work on undocumented platforms?
    With incomplete error revelation?
    Without the RIGHT to fix what is wrong with code?

Answer: Microsoft

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
    Those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.