another problem with re-installed mew32

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support another problem with re-installed mew32

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Gorlash
    Participant

I recently had a problem with getting mew32 to work properly, which I discussed with you here. I eventually managed to get this working, by completely deleting all traces of mew, then re-installing from scratch.

Note, as a reminder, that I deleted all files under
    C:\Users\ascender\AppData\Roaming\Multi Edit Software
    before re-installing.

Unfortunately, I am still having a problem with the program…
    I had re-installed in c:\mew32, rather than the original c:\me20008.
    I set the both the autosave and backup directories to point to c:\mew32\backup.
    However, for some reason, it is *still* trying to save to c:\me2008\backup …
    I deleted that directory today, but now it simply will not do backups any more, unless I re-create c:\me2008\backup…

I scanned through the registry, with mew closed, and deleted all references to me2008, (even though none of them actually listed me2008\backup), but that made no difference.

Later note:
    Okay, I let it re-create c:\me2008\backup, and what it is putting there is the *.mew configuration files. Where do I change that path, so I can get rid of that legacy directory ??

CharlesG
    Participant

the meconfig.db, where <user>\Bak appears, are in:
    C:\My Programs\Multi-Edit 2008\Defaults\MeConfig.db
    C:\Users\Galloway\AppData\Roaming\Multi Edit Software\Multi-Edit\11\Config.04\MeConfig.db

If you look at the files, with MEW closed, with something like Notepad, what does

/GS=!Backup_Path=<User_Path>Bak

line look like?

Gorlash
    Participant

Hi Charles;
    I actually figured out where the backup path was, and fixed this issue.
    But when I tried to update my original post, the forum software wouldn’t let me!!
    Anyway, all is fine now…

CharlesG
    Participant

Gorlash, how did you figure out and fix it?

Gorlash
    Participant

It was under:
    Customize: Sessions: Status file path:

It’s actually odd that I haven’t been bitten by this before…
    I’ve installed so many times over the years, on different machines, and I just keep a backup copy of my preferred settings from the Config.04 directory.
    Maybe this is the first time I’ve changed the install directory from c:\me2008…

CharlesG
    Participant

Gorlash,

I don’t get what you are trying to store in the \Backups folder? Or why the status files path would be the thing in error? Please elaborate….

Gorlash
    Participant

ummm… well, okay, but I’ve already solved my problem.

I had re-installed mew32 in a different directory than I typically do. I then restored a backup copy of the configuration files, to restore all my custom settings, such as syntax highlighting colors, etc. This includes my backup directory, which I typically set to <install_dir>\backup

Once I do that, I opened a file and changed the settings for ‘autosave’ and ‘backups’ to point to my new install directory. However, I was still getting several error messages upon loading a file, and any time I tried to save, saying “c:\me2008\backup does not exist” (where my new install directory was c:\mew32).

I did an initial scan through the configuration options, but couldn’t find any other field which referenced c:\me2008, and that confused me, thus my original message. However, on a subsequent search of Configure menu, I found the other field, which was under Sessions… once I corrected that as well, all was fine.

I tried to come back here and update my original post to reflect that the problem was solved, but the BBS software wouldn’t let me do so, nor would it allow me to reply to my own message, so I couldn’t do anything to say “nevermind” !!

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

I’m not happy with this forum software either. Search is gone and you can’t post cmac files.
    Clay

Gorlash
    Participant

Wow!! And your the admin here; don’t you have option to change the software? Or is it just too much work for a moribund product???

CharlesG
    Participant

@Clay,

What software is being used to run the forums please?

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    I just answer Multi-Edit questions. I don’t have any control over the website or its software. I don’t know the plugin used for the forum, but the site is wordpress. I preferred the old PHP-BB.
    Clay

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.