Auto completion

Home Forums Multi-Edit Suggestions Auto completion

This topic contains 11 replies, has 13,288 voices, and was last updated by  deleyd 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi all,

I like the complete macro that comes with Multi-Edit, but I feel like it could be even more useful. Right now, it only scans for completion keywords in the current file. I think it would be cool if this could be extended to list keywords from the current language in a pop-up list.

Thanks,

Bill

deleyd
    Participant

There is an enhancement at

http://www.multiedit.com/forums/viewtop … =1443#1443

(I haven’t had time to play with this, so I’m not sure exactly what it does.)

Anonymous

Hi deleyd,

The CompWord.s macro posted in that thread is definitely a step in the right direction, but it is similar to the bundled Complete macro in that it only expands keywords in the current file.

What I’m suggesting is that ME have a bundled macro that can not only expand words in the current file, but words listed as keywords for the current language as well.

I’m new to Multi-Edit, so I don’t know the CMac language well enough to do it myself. This is a feature that’s built into UltraEdit, and it seems logical and useful, so I thought Multi-Edit should be able to do it also.

Thanks!

Bill

DanHughes
    Participant

If you haven’t already try enabling the TipWin feature of Multi-Edit (Tools | Customize | TipWin). This might give you some of what you are wanting using the tags files for the supported languages.

Anonymous

Hi Dan,

That’s not quite the same thing, because 1) it is limited to C/C++/Pascal/Delphi/Java and 2) it requires tags. A general complete macro would be useful for any language if it could list keywords from the current language.

Bill

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

A general complete macro would be useful for any language if it could list keywords from the current language.[/quote:1geak8y0]

I don’t think so. Language keywords are usually used repeatedly so you write it once and then current completion works. Also, they’re usually shorter than identifiers and developers should remember them.

I don’t say there would be no use for it but I see symbols and prototypes much more important. Automatic function templates were just side effect of other development, originally. I added it because it was easy and didn’t expect to use it myself. Now I use it all the time. But I never missed language keywords expansion.

You’re right TipWin and automatic function templates functionality is limited to few languages, however important. It is possible to add support for more languages in the future.

Anonymous

I don’t think so.[/quote:9mihd3pb]
    I have to disagree here. Keyword expansion can aid in the "discoverability" of a language, particularly languages you’re not as familiar with, or when you work with several languages and you’d like to see available keywords in the current language. This is particularly helpful when using scripting languages (Perl, Python, PowerShell, JavaScript, etc.).

HTH,

Bill

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

Hmm, completion saves typing, it isn’t intended to help language learning. Honestly, I can’t imagine working this way. Until I know a new language, I have always opened help and search for desired functionality.

But OK, there are other ways of work than mine. What you want should be possible to implement using syntax highlighting files which already contain keywords.

Anonymous

Hmm, completion saves typing, it isn’t intended to help language learning.[/quote:wt8n19fr]
    Hi Michael,

I think it facilitates discoverability rather than learning. In my mind, the concepts are distinct.

What you want should be possible to implement using syntax highlighting files which already contain keywords.[/quote:wt8n19fr]
    Yes. I’m new to Multi-Edit and I don’t know CMac (yet). I was thinking that CMac gurus can get this implemented more quickly than I can.

Regards,

Bill

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

Yes. I’m new to Multi-Edit and I don’t know CMac (yet). I was thinking that CMac gurus can get this implemented more quickly than I can.[/quote:yfedsuc2]

Probably yes if one starts implementation in the same moment as you :) If you plan to learn CMAC (which isn’t hard is you know C or Pascal), this macro could be a good start and it is usually faster to implement simple things yourself than waiting until somebody else decides to do it.

Anonymous

Agreed, it doesn’t look that difficult. Perhaps a handy macro could get rolled into the Multi-Edit distribution and bound to Ctrl+Spacebar (like in UltraEdit or Visual Studio).

Regards,

Bill

deleyd
    Participant

I’m not familar with JauntePE. It looks like something that "attempts to convert conventional applications into portable applications".

There is a portable version of Multi-Edit: Mobile Multi-Edit (moME) if that’s what you want. It comes on a USB memory stick.

And there’s an attempt to port Multi-Edit to Linux using CodeWeaver’s CrossOver. The trick was to get rid of tabbed dialogs, so I removed them, split them into separate dialogs. That would be here:

EDX 4.36 LNX 3.00Alpha Smooth Scroll, Scroll Margins, Linux!
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=489&start=15&hilit=linux

Linux is just an option, usually not used (unless you’re on Linux! :D ).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.