Brief single window mode with 3 split windows makes a mess

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support Brief single window mode with 3 split windows makes a mess

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ebvigmo
    Participant

If I am editing a file (Brief emulation), split the window vertically and then split the right window horizontally (now 3 windows). I enter a non-recoverable condition of never being able to get back to not having ‘linked’ windows. I have reported this bug since version 7 (or earlier). Non on version 10 and it is still there.

DanHughes
    Participant

What version of Multi-Edit are you using?

The “Brief Window Emulation” mode was rewritten for 9.0 and works much differently than version 7 and 8. It is now called “Single Window Mode” and still isn’t perfect since Multi-Edit deals with windows differently than Brief but it is much better than in the older versions.

If you are using version 9.0 or later, then to get back to a single window you should do a Window Unsplit until you get back to a single window.

If you don’t have the latest version, then you might want to download a demo of our latest version 9.10 and see it isn’t improved.

ebvigmo
    Participant

I am using version 10.

DanHughes
    Participant

Version 10 of what?

The current version of Multi-Edit is 9.10. To check your current version, within Multi-Edit click on Help | About.

ebvigmo
    Participant

Ooops. 9.10.3

DanHughes
    Participant

As I stated in my first message, use Window | Unsplit to remove shared windows in “Single Window Mode”.

ebvigmo
    Participant

That is what I do. Can you just try what I said in the begining: create 3 windows as I described and then try to get back to one window and no files ‘linked’. The linked files are impossible to deal with. If you go to the next window or go to the left window or right window, it changes what the other side has for a file.

jbrandwood
    Participant

This sounds exactly like the state that I get into, except that you’ve narrowed it down to a simple-to-reproduce example.

When I get into this state, I open the ???????.MEW session file in another editor and delete all the lines that refer to windows and window positions.

It is a pain-in-the-***, but it does avoid having to rebuild the entire session.

Hopefully the bug will get fixed one day, but there don’t seem to be a lot of us old Brief converts around anymore that use the single-window mode.

ebvigmo
    Participant

Thanks for entering the feedback. I’ve been reporting this bug for 5 years or more and they have never acknowledged its existance (or tried my simple example on how to duplicate the bug).

ME is a nice tool, but …

DanHughes
    Participant

I HAVE followed your steps and I can easily get back to a single window but then I understand how the code is working.

Let me explain how Single Window mode works. First, there will always be one file (buffer) loaded in this mode and if it is the only file loaded, it will be shown in every visible window. When a file (buffer) is “linked” it means it is being shown in more than one window, i.e. a view in Brief terminology is what we call a window. When you split a window in Single Window mode, each window remain visible until you do a Window | Unsplit. Using the close icon for File | Close menu will just remove the contents of the current window and if the file is not linked to another window, the file will be removed from memory. Then the next file (buffer) is loaded into the window and will be linked if that file is being shown in another window.

I suggest you read the online help about Files and Windows under the Working with Multi-Edit section. This will help you to understand some of what I’m trying to say here. One major difference between Multi-Edit and Brief, in Brief you could load a file into a buffer and it not be associated with a view or window. In Multi-Edit a loaded file (buffer) is always associated with at least one window although that window might be hidden.

Now in your case you have three windows and if you have only one file loaded then all three windows will be showing this file although it could be different areas of the file. If you were to load a new file, it would be loaded and shown in the currently selected window and the “linked” file that was being shown would be reduced by one link. Now if you would switch to another window and load a third file, then it would replace the “linked” file and now you would have no linked windows.

As I stated before, Multi-Edit deals with “windows” and “files (Buffers)” much differently than Brief did and the Single Window mode is the way we chose to “emulate” the way Brief handled windows.

If you indeed want to get back to no linked windows, then use Window | Unsplit until you only have one window showing and then you should have no linked files.

ebvigmo
    Participant

But it doesn’t work. I typically have 20-30 files opened, usually only 1 window. I often split the window in two (vertically) and view a different file in the right panel. This all works great..

But when I split the right window (horizontally) and make the lower right window the active window I get into trouble. You can unsplit it and and again unsplit to a single window. Now try splitting again and doing an Alt-Right , change the buffer. Do an Alt-Left. It ends up showing different files and there is NO way to get to no linked windows from here and it is a mess.

DanHughes
    Participant

OK, after playing around with it awhile I finally see what you are talking about. I’ll add it to my list of things to look at. In the meantime run the SWinReset macro whenever you get into this state and it should help correct it.

ebvigmo
    Participant

Thanks. I had forgotten about that Macro.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.