Cannot get Macro change to propagate into Evolve package

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support Cannot get Macro change to propagate into Evolve package

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    PlyExplorer
    Participant

Hi,

With the assistance of another developer (Thanks, Charles G), I was able to recompile the Evolve macro package, with some minor changes.

However, although all of the Evolve .mac file were recompiled (according to their file dates), the changes to the mac file are not showing up when Evolve is auto-loaded and run.

I recall somewhere in the Help files, saying that a fresh compilation of an existing macro package requires you to refresh or add it to some library file, but I can no longer find that passage. And at the time I ready the help text, I search for this library file that they referenced, and could not locate it.

So – if you make a change to an existing macro package, how do you get MultiEdit to integrate the change into its functionality?

CharlesG
    Participant

The macro library I think you are thinking of is Mac\Mew.mcl – which is not having to do with mods to any of the add-on packages, Evolve for instance.

What makes you think the changes are not being kept between each time the compiler is run?

Please search your computer for Ev_Cwrit.mac and see if it’s outside of mac\Ev_Cwrit.mac please…..

PlyExplorer
    Participant

“The macro library I think you are thinking of is Mac\Mew.mcl – which is not having to do with mods to any of the add-on packages, Evolve for instance.”

I’ll try to find the passage where they mention it. But

“What makes you think the changes are not being kept between each time the compiler is run?”

I don’t understand the question. The whole reason for starting this thread, is because the Evolve package has exactly the same behavior that it had, before compiling the entire package. The macros all have the file date of the re-compilation, but the expected changes are not showing up after MultiEdit is started.

“Please search your computer for Ev_Cwrit.mac and see if it’s outside of mac\Ev_Cwrit.mac please…..”

It’s in both the Mac folder, and the AddOns\Evolve folder. They have the same file dates, which are the dates of compilation.

CharlesG
    Participant

You use Mobile apps and I have the desktop / laptop version of MEW. Given that, my addons\Evolve folder only has ev_*.s, Ev.cfg, Evolve.dat, Evolve.del, Evolve.lst, Evolve.sh, Evolve.upd, Install.lst.

There is no library for Evolve macros, the only library is mew.mcl in the mac folder. Not sure why the change to Ev_Cwrit.mac isn’t kept as it should be.

PlyExplorer
    Participant

After experiencing the problem, I installed the desktop version of ME, although I did place it in an alternate folder rather than Program Files x86.

I have the same problem in both environments.

I think I’ll try re-installing ME on an older XP laptop, then copy the changes to that version, and see what happens.

PlyExplorer
    Participant

No luck. On the XP, all of the Evolve macro files are in

C:\Program Files\Multi-Edit 2008\Mac folder

, with a file date of 03/13/2021.

All the other Macro files, and the Mew.mcl, are from 2009.

There’s definitely some missing step, that I’m not performing. The macros are fully compiled, after making the change in evolve.sh, but the changes aren’t propagating to the Evolve package.

CharlesG
    Participant

CMACWIN.EXE -L “C:\My Programs\Multi-Edit 2008\AddOns\Evolve\Evolve.lst” -P “C:\My Programs\Multi-Edit 2008\Mac” -I “C:\My Programs\Multi-Edit 2008\AddOns\Evolve”

does not work…… suggestions?

PlyExplorer
    Participant

Charles,

This is the command line that I used today, with a fresh install of ME on XP. I executed it from the Multi-Edit 2008 folder:

cmacwin.exe -IAddOns\Evolve;src -PMac -L AddOns\Evolve\evolve.lst

CharlesG
    Participant

Any further progress on this issue?

PlyExplorer
    Participant

Nothing. I haven’t played with it, since the weekend.

I’ll try and send a query directly to customer support, and see if they’re available.

CharlesG
    Participant

@PlyExplorer – any update on this yet? Did you send support a message?

PlyExplorer
    Participant

Hi Charles,

Yes, I contacted them, and they gave me some fairly detailed suggestions. I tried them all, to no avail.

“It may be that evolve has been built into the macro library. This is a library of mac files all bundled together, that packages a bunch of mac files into the library for easy loading when ME starts. ME would look to that before actual mac files. The ME install creates a link called “Rebuild macro library”. I have win 10 and I can’t figure out how to look at the properties (like I could in any previous OS). Look under the win start menu for the block of ME related links. You should see links for various help files, the MESI home page, ME 2008 of course and two more links. Rebuild macro library and recompile macro source. Try the link, rebuild macro library. Alternatively you might try moving your cmac changes to the evolve addon directory (maybe back up the files there first) then uninstall and reinstall evolve….

Another thought is changes made to the startup.cfg file (or startup2.cfg) the current versions of these are in your config directory. Typically when ME wants to invoke a macro, it looks for the macro in this order: memory (the mac library is loaded into memory when ME starts), then config directory, then the install mac directory. The config directory is located here: Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Multi Edit Software\Multi-Edit\11\Config.04 Substitute your user name for USER”

CharlesG
    Participant

@PlyExplorer:

I heard from Clay and thought I would help try to narrow where the problem is.

1 – See where the updated Evolve files are being placed, do the following

a – compile and run the attached report^report macro
    b – note the install location in the message area
    c – close ME
    d – start CMD
    e – navigate to ME install folder (e.g. CD C:\Program files\MultiEdit )
    f – DIR /a:-d /s *.* > %UsesrProfile%\Desktop\Before.lst
    g – Open the ME shortcut and run “Recompile Evolve Macro Source”
    h – go back to the CMD window
    i – DIR /a:-d /s *.* > %UsesrProfile%\Desktop\After.lst
    j – EXIT
    k – send me the Before.lst and After.lst files that are on your windows desktop to CSGalloway (at) gmail (dot) com

2 – Is this on a network or stand alone install?

CharlesG
    Participant
    PlyExplorer
    Participant

Thanks CG,

I’ll try this during the weekend.

It’s standalone. The machine that I’m testing it on, is an XP. Originally it was Win 10, but I wanted to eliminate the possibility of privilege/security issues.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.