Does Visual Studio Sync Add-In work with Visual Studio 2008?

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support Does Visual Studio Sync Add-In work with Visual Studio 2008?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    steve
    Participant

Does the Visual Studio Sync Add-In work with Visual Studio 2008? It doesn’t show in the Add-In Manager for Visual Studio 2008.

I did run a ME upgrade (10.05) when VS 2008 was already installed, but still it doesn’t appear in the Add-In Manager.

DanHughes
    Participant

Visual Studio 2008 is not supported in Multi-Edit 2006 and I currently don’t have access to a copy of VS 2008 to test with.

steve
    Participant

Actually, I’ve discovered a clever way to do what I want, so I thought I’d share it here. Visual Studio allows you to call external tools from within VS. You can use this feature to call MultiEdit, opening the current file you are working in.

Go to Tools -> External Tools… in the Visual Studio menu.

Add an entry with the following info:

Title: MultiEdit
    Command: …\Mew32.exe
    Arguments: $(ItemFileName)$(ItemExt) /L$(CurLine) /C$(CurCol)
    Initial Directory: $(ItemDir)

This allows you to open the current file in MultiEdit You’ll go to the exact line and column number. After you save this, you can also click the Move Up button to make it the first command in the list. The tools you add here map into a fixed number of External Command menu placeholders, I think there’s 13 of them.

If you want to save the file first, you can set up a macro to save the file automatically before launching into ME, here’s the VS macro code to do that, assuming you are using the first External Command placeholder to call MultiEdit:

[code:1hpaaxev]Public Module MultiEdit

Sub OpenInMultiEdit()

DTE.ExecuteCommand("File.SaveAll")
    DTE.ExecuteCommand("Tools.ExternalCommand1")

End Sub

End Module[/code:1hpaaxev]

If you want, you can map a keyboard shortcut to launch this macro. You should see the macro listed under Tools->Options->Keyboard

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.