Exceeded licensed number of concurent users…

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support Exceeded licensed number of concurent users…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    zippo
    Participant

I use command windows quite a bit and often launch multi edit from them. The problem I have is if I start ME from a drive I do not have write access at the root I get an error message saying I have exceeded the licensed number of concurrent users.

To recreate this you can simply insert a CD and change to that drive letter in a command window. Then run mew32.exe from that drive letter by using the absolute path. For example…

E:\>”C:\Program Files\Multi-Edit 9.10\mew32.exe”

Assuming E: is a CD-ROM drive with a CD in it and you installed Multi-Edit in “C:\Program Files\Multi-Edit 9.10”

Additionally, if you are on a network drive and have rights to the current working directory but not at the root of the drive you will get the same problem.

I am using Multi-Edit v9.10.03 on Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows XP Pro SP2 workstations.

– Mark

Ken Walker
    Participant

Mark,

Are you using a network license or single user? I’m not sure it will actually matter, since I have been able to do the CD test from both a single user machine and a networked machine, without getting the license message you are getting. In my case, from the command prompt, I go to the CD (D:) and run ME. It comes up just fine, excepting it doesn’t load my previous session (which could be fixed).

To my knowledge, ME checks a file in it’s home directory for licensing. It should not be affected by your root access or lack thereof.

Ken Walker
    Participant

Mark,

We may have found something and are looking into it more thoroughly. I’ll try to get something for you as quickly as possible.

Regards.

Ken Walker
    Participant

Mark,

OK, I have not been able to duplicate your issue and neither has Dan. The code has been reviewed and we can’t seem to find any reason for this issue. Are you using a networked version? If so, see if your net admin can temporarily give you root access and try to run again to see if that is indeed the issue. Also, what about a CD-R? If you have a burner, change to that drive with a blank CD in it. If you are thinking that ME is trying to write something to the root of the current drive, and you are using XP, it will appear in ‘Files waiting to be written’ after you try to run ME.

Regards,

zippo
    Participant

Ken,

Thanks for the replies, I didn’t have ‘Notify me when a reply is posted’ so I never knew you replied until today! I have been very busy and haven’t had time to research this more.

I am using the a single user license but have multiple copies. Also, I am the network administrator so I have full access to the network however this problem was reported to me by one of our users.

I have just tried again and still the same problem. This is not a major problem since most people (including myself) launch ME from an icon. What appears to be the problem is mew32.exe (v9.10.03) writes a file called me910.naf at the root of the current working drive. In there it writes the number of used licenses and when launched it checks that file to see if the license count has been exceeded. If it can’t access that file you get an error message indicating your license count has been exceeded.

There are problems with that style of license verification when launching mew32.exe from a command prompt either by having the mew32.exe directory in your search path or referencing the file from its location.

On a network with multiple copies of single user licenses. If two people have a drive mapped to a network share and both execute mew32.exe from a command prompt while they are on the same network share you will get a license violation error.

For example…

User 1
    Maps drive P: to \\server\source_code

User 2
    Maps drive P: to \\server\source_code

Now if user 1 opens a command prompt changes to drive P: and types C:\MEW\MEW32.EXE it will create a file at the root of P:\ called ME910.NAF and record the license count there.

If user 2 does the same while user 1 still has mew32.exe running they will get a license violation error.

The same thing happens if you have a read-only CD in drive E: and in a command prompt you start mew32.exe.

For example:
    E:\c:\mew\mew32.exe

Since you cannot write to the root of the CD this file cannot be created. The same holds true for a network path when the user does not have write access to the root of the drive. This is how we first came accross this problem. If I grant the user write access to the root of the drive they do not get a license violation error but when I take write access away again they get the error.

A posible solution is to always write the license file to the directory where mew32.exe resides. Another idea would be to allow a configuration specify the location of the license file.

Well, sorry for the long post and the long delay in response…

– Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.