Exceeded the licenced number of cuncurrent users

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support Exceeded the licenced number of cuncurrent users

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Graeme
    Participant

Hi,

We are having a problem with our 15 user network installation of multi edit 9.10

When starting multi edit we get the following message: “This copy of Multi-Edit has exceeded the licenced number of cuncurrent users. Please try again later.”

We have a 15 user licence and there is definitley nobody currently using multi edit!

We have tried restoring the multi edit folder from a previous backup when we know it was working and also reinstalling multi-edit from stratch – both with no effect.

The server is windows 2000 and the clients are also windows 2000.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

Graeme

ChadW
    Participant

Graeme,

Please send an email to sales@multieditsoftware.com and include the current serial/release code you are using. Your problem could possibly be related to a bad code, and will be a good place for us to begin trouble shooting.

Thank You!

Graeme
    Participant

Hi,

We had been using the licence sucessfully for a few months.

We have managed to get it working again – unfortunatley we cannot say for sure what solved the problem. We tried rebooting the server and this made no difference, then we tried renaming the reinstallation folder of multiedit from ME91x to ME91xORIG and then restored the original multiedit folder from the time that it had stopped working – and it suddenly started working!

If you have any ideas as to how the system of allocating how many users are currently logged on and using multiedit works would be apreciated in order to try and be able to solve this again in a more reliable manner.

Thank you,

Graeme

ReidSweatman
    Participant

Chad’s probably got a handle on it by now, but I would note that the Installation Guide has a complete rundown on exactly how the network setup works. I worked hard to make that as comprehensive as possible within certain size limits. I believe its contents are now part of the manual, if you don’t happen to have a separate copy of the file. It’s also available on the download page in either Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat format (look on the left-side nav bar, rather than in the main download list).

Graeme
    Participant

Hi,

I have read that section and we followed the procedure exactly, a very similar version of it came in the box as a printout. We had a working installation for a couple of months before the problem.

In point 3 on Page 17 of the PDF manual it says – “It does not matter how many clients are installed; what matters is how many are active at any one
    time. Should a user try to run Multi-Edit at a time when all licensed seats are already active, Multi-
    Edit will display an error message. Once one of the other users shuts his client down, the seat
    becomes available, and the previously locked out user can then log on.”

Our problem was that it was reporting that all of the licences were in use but we had no copies of multiedit running on the network and after following the steps in my first post it all started working again, although it was not obvious what fixed it.

My request would be for a way of resetting what multiedit thinks the current number of users are if this was to happen again.

Thanks,

Graeme

ReidSweatman
    Participant

Okay, I can think of one circumstance, off the top of my head, that might account for this behavior (other than the obvious one of “corrupt files”): the infamous Windows “Application appears to be hung” issue (which affects applications other than Multi-Edit, be it noted). There are two observed forms of this problem. The first I just finished discussing in another current support thread on the forum, so you can go read it there (<a href="http://http://www.multiedit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=608:cgl6hb28]Hang (long wait) attempting to open file or browse[/url:cgl6hb28″>).

The other hang mode is different, in that the affected application appears to be shut down, usually suddenly and unexpectedly. This is the result of Windows’ “ghost” window mechanism getting out of sync during the attempted shutdown of a hung app. Basically, Windows manages to prevent the mechanism it uses to get fast screen updates from redrawing the application window, while leaving the application itself running, but invisible. If you look in Task Manager when this happens, you’ll see the mew32.exe process chugging merrily along, likely eating a substantial portion of your CPU cycles as it tries to get enough time-slice to finish what it was doing…at which point it will see that Windows has killed it, and obligingly close…sans interface, which can cause problems if it puts up any kind of dialog during shutdown. The problem is a synchronization problem in the Windows message queue, and was made much worse by some of the changes in Windows XP SP1 and later hotfixes, some of which tweaked a number of internal process latency and time-out values in the interest of making Windows appear to run faster.

I’m not guaranteeing that this is your particular problem; Chad might be more on the mark looking into the network key itself. But if it recurs, have a quick look at Task Manager on the server and several of your users’ workstations, and see if the Multi-Edit process might be active on one or more machines that don’t appear to be running Multi-Edit. In such an instance, the only thing you can do is kill the process from within Task Manager or a similar program, such as SysInternals’ Process Explorer (free, and a heck of a program).

Graeme
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have experienced the problem of the process running after an apparant exit. It will stop multi-edit from loading again (at least on the machine with the process running) until you kill it.

Most (if not all) of the machines running multi-edit are windows 2000 SP4. Our usual policy is to shutdown machines overnight – thus killing the process – although might this killing of a process not free up a licence on the server?

If we get this problem again I will post any further information here.

Thanks,

Graeme

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.