Importing macros to a new install

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support Importing macros to a new install

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    klink
    Participant

I am currently trying to update each of my computers w/ new macros that add options to the menu items. I have these in a .upd file, and I wanted to know how I can update these to all my computers w/ multi-edit so that I do not have to run this macro everytime I start multi-edit. I noticed in the manual a install.lst file, but there is no information as to where this file should go and how to put it together. I also wanted to know what is the best way, or am I looking in the wrong places. I would like to either have these macros included with a new install of multi-edit, or an update to each copy of multi-edit. I’m trying to make these standard configurations on my multi-edit program. Thanks.

BrentStroh
    Participant

If you’re using 9.10.03, the Import/Export tool will do some of this – it will help build an update macro from the commands, menus, etc, that you pick.

You’ll still have to copy the macro files that those new commands reference over to the other computers, but you’ll be copying the update macro anyway, so that shouldn’t be a huge hardship.

One of these days when my free time improves, I’d like to update ImpExp.s to be a lot more functional…

klink
    Participant

Where exactly can I find the import/ export tool?

klink
    Participant

I’m sorry, I’m thinking that will not work. My problem is that I already have multi-edit on these computers, and I’m using installshield to install a new programming environment. I want to see if I can have install shield place an install.lst file, or some other way for it to update a new menu option in the already installed multi-edit. I’m trying to avoid going into each multi-edit and changing the imports this way. Is there an easier way?

klink
    Participant

I’ve been playing around w/ different options and to the best of my knowledge I cannot just add a install.lst file into a directory for multi-edit to read upon startup.
    I believe my new direction is to look at someway of editing the startup.cfg files to include the macros from my .upd file. Will this work?

The entire point is to add menu commands to the already installed multi-edit w/out going into the program and selecting the add on feature from the tools menu. Is there someplace installshield can place a .lst or .udp, or any other file, where multi-edit will update itself upon it’s next startup???

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

How many computers do you want to update? Using InstallShield for this purpose is a bit strange idea, too complicated in my opinion. Simple batch would work as well.

I believe MEW won’t run anything automatically. Startup.cfg is one way to go but you’d have to clean it after installation. Possible but laborious. Next possibility is to use command line parameter -R to run a macro after MEW start. You install tool could copy necessary files and then run MEW just to install them and exit. Everything could work automatically. In principle, I never tried it in practice.

Import/export tool may not help directly but can help you to create installation package.

klink
    Participant

Yes, I know this turning out more difficult than previously thought.

What if I replace the startup2.cfg (becuase it appears to be empty) w/ my macros. Then at the end of the startup2 file add a line to delete the startup2.cfg file. This will prevent it from running the macros again, and there should be no problem w/ the program b/c the startup2.cfg is empty anyway. It will just load these files on the next startup, right?

By the way. Thanks for all the help so far.

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

Are you sure all installations have it empty? It is user’s file and everybody can add something there. Better would be to backup original file and restore backup as the last command. I’m not sure how it is safe as you plan to replace the file which is just interpreted. Try it.

Anyway, using startup2.cfg can be better idea because it is processed later during MEW startup.

klink
    Participant

That sounds good. As I’m new to this system, what are the commands I could put in the startup.cfg to restore itself. Then again this might be harder b/c I was planning on having installshield just replace the startup2.cfg file by overwriting it.

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

Look to docs and examples in Defaults subdirectory. I’d probably write a simple macro for this purpose and start it on the end. Or even better, install it as MEW exit macro so original file would be restored at MEW exit. Something like this (haven’t tested):

[code:244f9vv0]GStr @Me_Exit_Macro@ MyMac^RestoreStartup
    [/code:244f9vv0]

klink
    Participant

Actually it looks like I will not have to worry about the back up. Will MEW run well w/out the startup2.cfg?
    The people who work w/ MEW will not have any idea as to change the config2.cfg, so deleting it should be fine. I am trying to find how to delete a file, and hope that this will not be a problem (a file deleting itself?).

klink
    Participant

I’m having trouble looking through the glossary, and I wanted to see if there was any other site or information I could find on the language. I’m completely new to this ide, so I’m having trouble finding the simplest delete. Thanks.

klink
    Participant

I have been trying to have Startup.cfg or Startup2.cfg delete Startup2.cfg using this command:

DelFile Startup2.cfg

I place this at the end of one of the two files, but it does not seem to work at all. Is there another command I haven’t found? Am I placing it in there wrong?

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Try

Del_File( “Startup2.cfg” )

Though you may need more path.

HTH
    Clay

klink
    Participant

I tried that and it still doesn’t work. Here is my Startup2.cfg file:

;
    ; Post Restore Startup Configuration File
    ;
    ; Set to show no message box
    ;
    Set NoMsgBox On
    ;
    ; Reset no message box flag (Last entry in file)
    ;
    Set NoMsgBox Reset
    Del_File ( “C:\Program Files\Multi-Edit 9.10\Config\Startup2.cfg” )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.