Installed in Program files – WIn 7

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support Installed in Program files – WIn 7

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    CharlesG
    Participant

Staples.com installed both MEW 9.0e and MEW 11.04 into Program files, Can’t I get the files that MEW needs to write / update / etc to work by changing file permissions? Also is there documentation on how to install on a Win 7 64 bit machine please?

Or is it possible to have the SRC, MAC, and other folders that ne3ed to be updated – outside of Program files?

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    There should be no problem with ME 11.04, but v9 was released long before win Vista/7 came along. ME 9 wants to write configuration info to files in the installed directory tree. Those versions of windows don’t allow that. While we can’t provide support for such an old version on a new operating system, other customers have had success installing ME 9 to a directory outside the program files tree, like C:\editor.

Hope this helps,
    Clay

CharlesG
    Participant

11.04 is installed in Program Files (x86). When starting MEW I am getting:

"Access denied:
    ERROR 3183: level 3 occured opening file c:\Program Files (x86) Multi-edit 2008\config\meconfig.db"

Any help appreciated.

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    Something is amiss here. ME 11.04 uses a directory in the documents and settings directory for config info. Now it does copy out of its install directory files to that location, but it does not write to the config directory under the install directory. A standard install under win 7 should not encounter this problem, as win 7 allows reading from the installed directory tree. Can you verify that the meconfig.db file is located in c:\Program Files (x86) Multi-edit 2008\config\. When ME does not find a file, like meconfig.db, wcmdmap.db or template files in the config directory in the documents and settings tree, it will try to copy that file to there from the default versions of these files located in the config directory under the install directory. If those files are not located in the config directory under the install directory then you may have a corrupted install and need to completely remove ME and install again.

Clay

CharlesG
    Participant

>Can you verify that the meconfig.db file is located in c:\Program Files (x86) Multi-edit 2008\config\

It does exist there, along with a .BAK

The files also appear in:

C:\Users\Galloway\AppData\Roaming\Multi Edit Software\Multi-Edit\11\Config.04\

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    If the file (meconfig.db) is out in C:…Multi Edit Software\Multi-Edit\11\Config.04\ ME should not be trying to read the one in the install directory. During the ME 11.04 install were the settings from ME 9 imported? Has ME 11.04 worked since it was installed?

CharlesG
    Participant

I am not sure how staples.com installed 11.04 – if it was an upgrade or clean install. I guess I’ll remove it then install new and then see what happens

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

HI,
    That is probably the best bet. None of this sounds correct. ME 11.04 installs fine on win 7.
    Clay

CharlesG
    Participant

I don’t understand why Staples doesn’t register anyhting. I had precise directions in a notepad file for them – but nothing is registered and a few things are not installed correctly – aside from Me….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.