Is ME still on business?

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support Is ME still on business?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2,375 voices, and was last updated by  jbrandwood 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

effemmeffe
    Participant

In my old workplace I discovered ME, IIRC it was version 8 or so.
    Now I’m on a new job and I’d like to keep using this amazing editor, no aternatives I tried is nearly comparable and also I learned a lot of keyboard shortcut for Me and I don’t like to begin again with some another editor.
    But I see that the forum is poorly attended, the last newsletter was long time ago and it wasn’t so reassuring.
    Should I keep my money and search for some alternatives instead buying a license for ME2008?

ConceptJunkie
    Participant

I’ve been using Multi-edit since my first job back around 1989, and I’ve stuck with it through thick and thin, but mostly thin these days. It’s been six years since there was a new release and while I’m pretty happy with it, there are some really glaring deficiencies, such as a lack of keystroke recording, or the fact that you can’t do anything while searching (I do a lot of searching over a really large codebase, although running multiple instances of ME is a workaround), and of course the occasional bug.

The product I own still works and I still use it daily, so I have that much if the company folds and the product become abandoned, but it’s so sad to see something with this proud heritage founder and disappear.

Hey, ME, if you guys are still around, we customers still support you.

Rick

jbrandwood
    Participant

FWIW … and I don’t know why I still follow these forums, or why I just reinstalled an old copy of MultiEdit, or why I spent a day making my Windows 7 shell extension work with MultiEdit, but …

… It’s time to move on, if you can.

There are other editors out there that are still supported, from the free ones like Notepad++ and Programmer’s Notepad, through mid-range editors like Zeus and UltraEdit, up to the crazily-priced-but-last-"professional"-editor-left SlickEdit.

None of them offer ALL the features of MultiEdit, but most of them offer some useful things that MutliEdit can’t do … it’s a trade-off.

MultiEdit has gone through at least 2 generations of management since the halcyon days of American Cybernetics, Inc, when a lot of us came on board.

No new release for 6 years, and a stream of broken promises don’t give anyone much reason to stay with MultiEdit anymore.

FWIW … it’s not perfect, but my personal recommendation for a replacement for a MultiEdit user would be the Zeus editor/IDE. It’s got a lot of "old-school" features that the newer editors lack, and the developer is still active.

effemmeffe
    Participant

I’d expect at least that the management would release the code base, but there is no indication about that.
    At this point I will not buy a copy of a non supported product.
    Problem is that I can’t even found some warez code to activate my copy…

ChadW
    Participant

effemmeffe,

Allow me to begin by addressing your comments in line below to your original post.

I’d expect at least that the management would release the code base, but there is no indication about that. [/quote:2h7lywg6]

We have no intention of ‘releasing our code base’, UNTIL we’ve released our new product as we have been working SO HARD for the past 3 years now performing a complete rebuild of the product from scratch. At this point our product is approximately 75% complete but lacks full functionality which is preventing us from even releasing in a BETA form at this time. Once this product build is complete, we will be eventually open sourcing the ME2k8 source code to a repository such as Source Forge. Until we’ve released our newest build we will continue to ‘sell and support’ our current product line.

At this point I will not buy a copy of a non supported product.
    [/quote:2h7lywg6]
    As stated above, we are in fact supporting our current product release, in fact Clay Martin provides support for this product everyday via email and support forums.

Problem is that I can’t even found some warez code to activate my copy…[/quote:2h7lywg6]

Michele Hegwood still continues to provide support for our customers on a daily basis and is always available to assist with lost license codes (for the ME2k6/2k8 products only. Older releases are no longer supported and therefore licenses are no longer provided). Please take a moment to reach out to Michele via email for immediate assistance at sales@multieditsoftware.com for assistance with obtaining any licenses and download links. Regarding your comment about the ‘warez’ codes, we have been very diligent with protecting our software as the revenues obtained from it even today are used to continue development, site hosting, server maintenance, phones, fax, employee wages etc. Those licenses which are found to be in circulation on the warez networks are immediately invalidated and no longer valid for any future upgrade use. Once again, please reach out to Michele for assistance with obtaining your installer and license codes as there is no need for our licensed users to go to the warez networks to obtain a pirated copy of a software title you already own.

We will be sending out a newsletter next month as there is much to announce but I’ve been holding off for legal reasons. As always I appreciate our customers and their loyalty to Multi-Edit and will continue to provide sales and support of the current release until our next build is complete.

Chad Williams
    President/CEO

effemmeffe
    Participant

We have no intention of ‘releasing our code base’, UNTIL we’ve released our new product as we have been working SO HARD for the past 3 years now performing a complete rebuild of the product from scratch. At this point our product is approximately 75% complete but lacks full functionality which is preventing us from even releasing in a BETA form at this time. Once this product build is complete, we will be eventually open sourcing the ME2k8 source code to a repository such as Source Forge. Until we’ve released our newest build we will continue to ‘sell and support’ our current product line.

[/quote:2byer2hf]

Thanks for your answer.
    I don’t need ME going open source or whatever, I’d just like to see a fully supported and alive project. If you say ME is still alive I’m happy with that.
    My line about warez was probably out of line, I was only kidding about that, I apologize.

I was just a little bit worried about the long time since the latest newsletter and the fact that you stated the new product is at 75% since last year…
    I don’t own an old license, it was at my old job, so I have to decide to buy a new one or not.
    Maybe I’ll wait for the new product to be on the market, I don’t want to buy a product that will be replaced soon. Meanwhile I’ll search for an alternative and I’ll be back for the mew ME.

Gorlash
    Participant

I’ve been using MEW (and originally MEDOS) for a couple of decades now, ever since I gave up on BRIEF, back in antiquity. In spite of repeated studies, I have yet to find an alternate free-or-inexpensive editor that has all of my "mandatory" items implemented… I currently have 16 editors in my "editor.issues.txt" file.

So, for now, in spite of some recently loss in functionality, I still stick with MEW… I spend all day looking at my programming editor, usually with 5-15 files open simultaneously; I really don’t have much room for compromise…

I *do* hope that we have new options in the future, I know I share that hope with the MEW staff, including ChadW. All we can do for now is ride the heavy currents and hope that we eventually see a light at the end of the tunnel… or at *least* see a tunnel of some sort…

Gorlash
    Fremont, CA

ChadW
    Participant

Kind words Gorlash and thank you for your devotion to Multi-Edit which I ‘believe’ there is MUCH value in this product as you and many of our users past and present do!

I’ll be sending out an email blast to all our customers, posting it in the forums here as well as our Newsletter Library, so keep an eye out as I will post it out next week for all.

I sincerely apologize for my last of ‘presence’ in my forum responses and my involvement with MESI in general and all this will be explained in this upcoming eblast.

Thank you,

Chad Williams

LarryEdwards
    Participant

Hi Chad,

Catching up here and with email after being offline for several weeks.

I see that you did the email blast on August 6. I suggest that you post that content here, to make this thread. Glad to see that you are still working toward a new release.

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Here is the latest from Chad:
    I’m beginning this ‘Letter from the CEO’ with an official apology to YOU, our devoted and dedicated users of Multi-Edit. For a bit over a year now we at Multi Edit Software, Inc. have made minor progress with our Multi-Editx development and the company has sustained at minimal operations. This is not due to lack of effort or the business fading away like so many others, but merely a result of my personal conflicts, more specifically my recent divorce. During this lengthy legal process the ownership of the business was in question and an order from the courts put into effect restricting anything more than standard day to day operations until we received the final ruling this past month. Sadly, this process took far longer than anticipated, but has finally come to an end. The judge passed a ruling that I will maintain sole ownership of Multi Edit Software, Inc. and therefore we can now move forward with business as usual including the continued development of our new Multi-Editx build.

So what does this mean for Multi-Editx? In the coming weeks we will be updating our website (already in progress) to bring it more current with updated content of the site with the inclusion of PayPal as a newly added payment option, new business and product branding and a cleaner, easier to navigate site. Additionally, we will begin our MEx crowd funding push as previously planned.

As many of you know, we’ve continued operations all be it at a minimal level, sales and support of Multi-Edit has continued as usual despite recent failures of our online ordering system and additional site issues not to mention the outdated layout and navigation, all of which are being cleaned up dramatically. We will continue working with these site renovations which we plan to have released within the next 30 days. During this transition to our new site, we may take the site offline for a day or two as we implement the new site into our live server as this site rebuild is not just the website itself but a full server update starting with a clean slate. When we begin this process, we’ll have a Site Under Construction notification on our home page notifying of the temporary downtime with sales and support contacts to reach out to during the updates.

For the past 30+ years Multi-Edit has always prided itself as "The Editor Built by Programmers for Programmers" as many of our users have contributed to Multi-Edit with bugs fixes, features, custom macros, complete Multi-Edit add-ons and more. We will to continue this user involved practice yet bring it to a new level by opening up Investment Opportunities to our Users of Multi-Edit with our upcoming funding push. There will be numerous levels of funding options, each with exciting rewards at every level from MESI swag to lifetime Multi-Edit licenses and for larger funding contributors, non-voting shares of MESI stocks (pending approval from the crowd funding sites). After nearly 4 years of development and nearly a quarter million lines of code, MEx is near ready for release, but we require an additional funding push to hire a third party development company to assist with completing this build within a short time frame for immediate release. Help us to achieve this goal and become part of the product you’ve enjoyed for so many years now! We’ll be announcing the funding details within the next two months (following our new site launch).

In addition to our site update and funding push, we’ll be returning to our monthly newsletter push as we have in previous years. We’ll be updating you with the our goal status as well as development updates, support tips and additional questions or comments from our devoted Multi-Edit users. Once the product is near ready for release, we’ll also be opening a number of employment opportunities for all areas of MESI. If you would like to be considered for any MESI positions please don’t hesitate to send us your resume at anytime to resume@multieditsoftware.com.

Finally, if you have any support or sales questions please continue to reach out to Michele Hegwood for anything sales related such as assistance with ordering, registration information, upgrade eligibility or requesting an evaluation version of Multi-Edit. You can also reach Clay Martin for any support needs, request for newsletter support topics or assistance with your custom Multi-Edit Macros.

Once again, I would like to personally apologize for our lack of presence in our Multi-Edit community and would like to thank you once more for your continued usage and support of one of the greatest programming/text editors since the days of DOS and still going!

jbrandwood
    Participant

Speaking of the future …

It might be an idea if the management paid the bill for multieditsoftware.com … it expired on 2nd October.

There are lots of links on multiedit.com that point to multieditsoftware.com

Not a brilliant sign.

LarryEdwards
    Participant

I see that http://www.multiedit.com still works.

jbrandwood
    Participant

Yes, looks like the hosting has been paid, and so http://www.multiedit.com is still working.

The things that are broken are all the links on multiedit.com that point to multieditsoftware.com. I seem to remember those getting changed to multieditsoftware.com after the MESI buyout.

The site is a real mishmash of the 2 names … looks like the icons link through to multiedit.com, but a lot of the text links (including purchasing) link through to multieditsoftware.com

Go to the support page … the icon to this forum works, but the "Announcements", "FAQ", "Support" and "Suggestions" links don’t.

I’m going to assume that this is all supposed to be unified in the new website … looks like this would be a good opportunity to get that rolled out.

I’ll put in another request that this forum get upgraded, too … this old 2007 version of phpBB won’t let me logon correctly when I use FireFox.

LarryEdwards
    Participant

I use CyberFox, which has FireFox at its core — no problem logging on. The latest version of FireFox underlies it.

But of course updating the web software here seems a good idea.

ChadW
    Participant

We’re undergoing some changes to our site, switching servers, mail hosting and even new DNS. We’ll have moments of up and down time here and there and will be posting an announcement prior to the live switch over. We’re still here and hope to have the new site launched soon!

Chad Williams
    President / CEO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.