Language update scripts needed

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support Language update scripts needed

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    CharlesG
    Participant

I use JPSoft’s TCMD sofware (an enhanced command line interface) and it has versions 8 to 14. So I wouold like to add/change language types of JpSoft8 to JPSoft14 but am unsure of how to code the I assume UPD files.

I also use MyDefrag’s computer drive defrag tools, which allows user-created scripts. So I need to also do an UPD script for that please.

I am in the midst of decompling the help files for both applications to obtain the keywords. Speaking of keywords – is there any difference in any of the 4 keyword fields?

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    You can just update keyword lists without a full UPD / Add language effort.

Using *.mwl files to specify syntax keywords
    New to Multi-Edit 9.10.04, you can now use an external *.mwl word list file to specify an unlimited number of keywords to syntax highlight. This can be used instead of entering keywords in the Reserved Words fields of the Language Setup dialog above. By default each language can have a word list file with the name of the language such as CMac.mwl and C.mwl. These files are stored in the \Defaults subdirectory of the Multi-Edit installation (e.g. C:\Program Files\Multi-Edit\Defaults). See the *.mwl files in the \Defaults directory for an example of the format.

By default when the first file of a specific language is loaded the *.mwl with the same name as the language will be opened and the words in the list added to the syntax highlighting keyword list.

At first Multi-Edit will copy the *.mwl file from the \Defaults subdirectory to the \Config directory and format it for use. After that, when Multi-Edit loads the first file of a specific language, it will first search the \Config directory for a formatted *.mwl file. If one is found it will use it. If one is not found, Multi-Edit will search the \Defaults directory.

Do not edit or change the *.mwl files in the \Config directory. Instead, make your changes to the *.mwl file in the \Defaults directory, then delete the corresponding *.mwl file in the \Config directory so Multi-Edit will load the new *.mwl file from the \Defaults directory.

Edit: The location of the Multi-Edit \Config directory depends on what version of Multi-Edit you have. See
    "How to find the Multi-Edit Config Directory"
    http://www.multiedit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2013

If you do want to go with the UPD method here is a post that might help, it has a zip with models of all the files needed:
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2273&p=8557&hilit=keyword+list#p8557

Thanks,
    Clay

CharlesG
    Participant

Clay,

What I’d like to do is to do a full language setup for each of TCMD8 to TCMD14 and beyond. If a user has all 8 versions of TCMD then I’d like to have the end user do the language updates, similar to MEWs update process from 10.1 to 10.4 or whatever. I am nearly done finding the keywords or at least developing a .S script to make a TCMD8_Keys.lst or similar. Just not sure how to code the approbiate update scripts.

the other thing is that TCMD has keywords like SETLOCAL and ENDLOCAL and PUSD and POPD so this brings about a real-time indenter similar to Evolve’s Ev_Indnt.s; Is it possible for support to be added for TCMD and I guess MyDefrag too please?

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Hi Charles,
    If you want to set up full language support then these articles covers all the steps.

Adding Language Support 1: Syntax Highlighting: http://www.multieditsoftware.com/forums … php?t=1614
    Adding Language Support 1.1: AWK Syntax Highlighting
    Adding Language Support 2: Language Specific macros
    Adding Language Support 2.1: AWK Init macro
    Adding Language Support 3: Function Tagging
    Adding Language Support 4.1: Construct Matching
    Adding Language Support 4.2: Auto Construct Matching
    Adding Language Support 5: Creating an Add-On installer

I posted the link to the first one, you can get links to the others at the bottom of each article.

When it comes to indenting, usually you can take the existing indent macro from a similar language and modify it to suit the language you want to set up support for.

The last article, #5 has example upd and dat files. The upd files allow you to add commands, menus and tool bars. The dat files add meconfig.db entries for the language and extension. The format for doing this is fairly clear, and if you have manually setup the language entries (for extension, language) in your current install, then the db entries (they look like this, the bit after Dat)
    Dat EXT=SASSHELL=1DOC=0IND=3WW=1ATX=1LN=1UF=0TS=2RM=79FORMAT=Edit format lineTX=1LS=SASTEMPLATE=SASCC=SASOEM=0FT=1BRL=80SMAC=SAS^SASpresave
    can by cut and pasted out of you meconfig.db and wcmdmap.db files.

I would tend to look to the article for the info, and not necessarily evolve as that language addition is more complex than needed and was implemented a long time ago.

With the big push to get the next generation of Multi-Edit out the door, I don’t think the development team will be adding support for new languages anytime soon. The mwl method of adding keywords is much easier than making the keyword entries in the dat script. Because of the way the mwl files work, you could write an init.s (see article 2) script that would prompt for TCMD version and load the right mwl file if you can’t tell version from the extension.

Hope this helps,
    Clay

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.