Linux progress?

Home Forums Multi-Edit Suggestions Linux progress?

This topic contains 44 replies, has 54,185 voices, and was last updated by  deleyd 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

cobus
    Participant

Are we going to see a Linux version any time soon? A staff member hinted that they were process of developing ME for Linux back in Dec 2003, and said it would take a couple of years.

Is this a definitive goal for ME? Are you guys currently still working on such a port?

We would definitely buy it.

bern
    Participant

Since I’m now working on Linux I would also like to buy the Linux/Unix version.

Is development still being contemplated as stated by Carloche?
    http://www.multieditsoftware.com/forums … ight=linux.

I also see that there is the CrossOver Office option but I’d rather that a ‘native’ Unix version be developed.

ChadW
    Participant

Although we’d like to say yes, we will not be releasing a Unix/Linux version of Multi-Edit with our new ME2k6 release.

Tim Pearce
    Participant

But would you consider looking at getting it to work in Crossover ?

I’ve got an almost acceptable install of 9.10 running in Crossover. See my topic , complete with pictures.

Tim

ChadW
    Participant

We most certainly can revisit the option once we’ve released the new Multi-Edit versions.

Vihwabcav
    Participant

Where you get it???

Tim Pearce
    Participant

You get it from CodeWeavers [url:fj3ds9jw]http://www.codeweavers.com[/url:fj3ds9jw].

Alternately, if you have no money, use the free ‘version’ at [url:fj3ds9jw]http://www.winehq.org[/url:fj3ds9jw].

CodeWeavers provide most of the money for the WINE project these days. They have also taken on the people who have been working on the project for years (12+ years now) as employees.

Tim

Tim Pearce
    Participant

It’s been over a year since Chad said MESI would consider looking at getting MEW to work in CrossOver.

Has this been looked at ?

It’s been 4 years since a staff member mentioned that a Linux version was likely in 2 years time. That target is long gone.

Enabling under CrossOver/Wine definitely looks a good way to go, especially as it ‘almost’ works already.

The folks at CodeWeavers are quite willing to help vendors get their software to work with it and doing so can be quite transparent. A number of the programs Google has converted to Linux use CrossOver !

I bought MultiEdit at version 6.1 and have stayed with it ever since. I just downloaded a trial copy of SlickEdit. In particular it does not handle blocks the same way as ME, so I’m tossing up whether to adjust my habits or not.

It also has some ‘cool’ features that ME does not, but OTH, ME has ones that it doesn’t.

I’m pretty much a die-hard MultiEdit user, but I like many before me, am considering a move.

Please tell me that there is some action to allow me to use MultiEdit in Linux without running Windows.

Tim

[For the curious, I run MultiEdit in a virtual machine, running Windows, on a Linux box – is that die-hard or what ! ]

ChadW
    Participant

Tim,

I apologize for MESI not being able to provide a Linux/Unix version of Multi-Edit in the originally noted time frame. Unfortunately we determined that while building ME2k6 that we would not be able to provide the cross platform support without a complete ME rewrite. This is still planned for our next release, but again is a few years out as the rewrite will be quite extensive.

However, we are going to take a look at Crossover and we’ll see if we can’t provide some support for that in the mean time. Give us a few weeks to grab a copy and evaluate what will be needed for us to provide support and we’ll let you know where we end up.

Tim Pearce
    Participant

Thanks for the response Chad.

Make sure you make use of their vendor support program. It is in their interest to get as many applications as possible to work ‘out of the box’ and that’s either by helping vendors modify their software or modifying CrossOver, which of course helps everyone.

Wine/CrossOver is an audacious open source project which has spent 12 years in alpha and has been in beta for the last year or two. I expect that sometime in the next 5-10 years that Microsoft itself will, belatedly, support the project and thus enable most Windows programs to run on Linux and other UNIXes.

Tim

deleyd
    Participant

I’ve been wanting to try Lunix but couldn’t figure out where to buy a Linux computer, or what version of Linux to use (Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora, Slackware, Freespire, openSUSE, …)

Then there was an article in the recent Sept. 28, 2007 issue of PC Magazine "Linux: You can do it!" (pg. 70). "If you haven’t tested the Linux waters yet, now’s the time. In this starter guide—and in step-by-step instructions on our Web site—we’ll help you every inch of the way. And you don’t have to give up using Windows." [url:1n76bhkw]http://go.pcmag.com/linusInstall[/url:1n76bhkw]

They recommend Ubuntu. And say I can add it to my current Windows system. Since I recently got a new Windows Vista laptop with plenty of hard drive space, maybe I’ll give it a try.[list:1n76bhkw][*:1n76bhkw]Is Ubuntu a good choice?[/*:m:1n76bhkw][*:1n76bhkw]Should I try to run Multi-Edit on WINE, or CodeWeavers?[/*:m:1n76bhkw][/list:u:1n76bhkw]

Tim Pearce
    Participant

There are ways to run both at once, which is what I end up doing because I want to run Multi-Edit (and ZTreeWin), neither of which run in Wine/Crossover or have reasonable Linux replacements.

You can run Linux cooperatively on top of Windows using .

Multi-Edit runs in Wine/Crossover, but is only good for simple editing. If you try to do a search or replace, it freezes.

The same happens for customise, but that can be worked around by creating your own menu.

Tim

John Martzouco
    Participant

David, do you have a copy of "MS Virtual PC" or VMWare? If you do, then you can install one of the linux on a virtual system without having to keep another machine around.

I’ve played with Ubuntu and it installs as easily as XP.

A few of these linux distributions (including Ubuntu) ship images for bootable disks so you can run their os without even installing it… just pop the disk in your drive and reboot the machine… it’ll run a clean instance of linux for you. :~)

samej71
    Participant

David, do you have a copy of "MS Virtual PC" or VMWare? [/quote:3td84ikm]

I just wanted to add that Microsoft now allows free licenses for Virtual PC 2007 (it used to be a pay product, but now it’s free and still fully featured)

John Martzouco
    Participant

I know this sounds heavy, it’s an awful lot of fuss to go to, but…

I’m willing to bet that ME will run fine in a QEMU session running Windows 98. Has anybody tried this yet?

I’ve been reading about products like that will strip Win98 down much smaller than the MS installation will allow.

If nothing else, maybe this could get us started.

David, try the liveCDs. All you need to do is slip them in your CD drive and reboot… instant, easy to use Linux in less than 5 minutes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.