Most Popular Development Language

Home Forums Multi-Edit Suggestions Most Popular Development Language

This topic contains 25 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Matiuechan 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Ken Walker
    Participant

Hi all,

The development team here at Multi-Edit Software, Inc. would like to get some input from you. We’re wanting to know what the most popular language you use in conjunction with MEW. Please vote on your language by responding with a short description of your development environment.

Thanks.

AndyColson
    Participant

My primary is Delphi, for which I mostly edit in the Delphi IDE. When I need to reference old code, or similer code or something I’ll open it in MEW, search and copy. If I have a code modification thats long and tedious that can be done in a macro then I’ll load it up in MEW and write a macro for it. I tried that once with perl and it caused more dammage than good, so I stick with CMac for batch modified delphi code.

I also work in Perl alot. I use it as a glue language whenever I need to do a quick and dirty (database, text data, etc). I also have several build scripts in perl to build my delphi apps. I always edit and run my perl from MEW.

I have started using Lua as my Palm language and as my Delphi Scripting language. I always edit lua in MEW, but run it elsewhere. (*Well, except when I’m trying to learn something about the language, I have the lua interupter setup in MEW so that I can run scripts, but I dont use it much*)

The other thing I use MEW for ALOT is reading/modifying data files (CSV, Fixed, etc) text files. I get data from clients that I need to fix up before I can import it. I use MEW Cmac and perl (mostly perl) to fix it up.

I did one project in C, for which I used MEW and hooked up the compiler.

-Andy

tjulian
    Participant

My primary language is C, and all projects are for embedded products. I use compilers from Borland, MicroSoft, Tasking, gnu-gcc, DigitalMars, OpenWatcom, and others.

Assembly language is used as well, with languages including x86, ARM, 8051, 8051XA.

Other files edited are documentation, batch/make, configuration, build, files.

The support for adding error-parsing is extremely useful because of the variety of tools used.

TimJ

tlscales
    Participant

I use mostly C/C++, occasionally Java, Perl, HTML, and XML with various gnu tools for Linux (I’d love a Linux version of ME, BTW, so I can do all my editing on the same box I compile on). I will likely be doing C++ with whatever the current MS IDE is in the near future as well.

ReidSweatman
    Participant

Everyone likely knows my preferences, but I’ll toss ’em in for the record: mostly C++, followed closely by C, then smaller but similar amounts of Perl and x86 assembler. Well, CMac and Delphi as well, obviously. :) Other languages as required, and take two aspirins and put de lime in de coconut and mix ’em all up….

BrentStroh
    Participant

I used to spend all my time writing Clarify ClearBasic (VBA+, for most intents and purposes). After our latest re-org, I’m in more of a support role than a development role. Someday, I still plan to make this a package, just so I can more easily migrate it to 9.10.*…

So, my usage of MEW is now primarily for VBScript, as I build the toolset I need to do production support for me. This is what happens when you give a developer a pager… :)

Oh, and CMAC. I’ve written some CMAC.

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

A large majority of what I use Me for now-a-days is HTML (and its siblings), Javascript, PHP, SQL and Unix scripts. In the past I have used it for C, ObjectPascal, and some mainframe scripts like TSO-Clist and ISPF panel scripts.

But all along I have used Me, in conjunction with CMAC to do various changes to text based data files when various changes were to be done in a specific way. Banging out some CMAC to do the job is da bomb. Yea, you can do a lot with chains of substitutions like in SED, but having a more c-like full featured language made the work easier and more enjoyable. Wether converting a dump of an old Fox Pro Db to a format to be imported into Quick Books, or just cleaning up some HTML cut by Crystal Reports from a Excel Db, Me makes it easy. So I guess CMAC is an important language to support.

I have used a lot of languages, some I stopped using before finding MEW 7x years ago. I guess I will be using languages in the future that I don’t use now. Me’s ability to handle many languages, even ones not included with the distribution ;) make it a tool box not a single tool. If you interest is deciding what languages to focus more support for, I would humbly suggest that you focus on making Me easier to add language support to. Who knows, I am sure some geek somewhere is working as we type (or read) on a new language yet unseen. It may be a Fourth or it may be a C++, but some lucky sod is going to have to program in it.

Oh yea I use it for SAS some too. :roll:

David Morris
    Participant

I code about 70% C/C++, 25% Java, and the remaining 5% a mix of various other languages including CMAC, Delphi, script, and markup languages. I expect for my Java use to be increasing and C/C++ use to be declining in the near future.

For Windows GUI C++ apps I use the C++Builder 6 Enterprise IDE alongside MEW. For Java I mostly use WebSphere Studio Application Developer or Eclipse — I’ve got to say I’m in love with the Eclipse framework and don’t use MEW for much heavy Java work anymore, only for quick command-line applications. However virtually all other development work and routine text file editing is still done in MEW. I also use MEW as a “programmable text processing engine” whenever I need to perform some complex text manipulation/conversion tasks.

I’m a long time ME/MEW user who came to ME-DOS from Brief back in the early 90’s when I wrote firmware for embedded systems in C and ASM. I’ve owned every version of ME for both DOS and Windows ever since. :)

SansHobo
    Participant

All,

I guess I come from left field. I use ME to program in SAS (extensively), view large files (500 MB’s +), view C and assembler programs.

Like others, I am trying to learn other languages (VBS, linux scripting). Ocassionally, I use it for HTML. One of these days I will get around to CMAC.

Who knows what else I will use ME for.

Sandor

shanevincent
    Participant

I am even more at there. I primarly use MultiEdit to work with Clarion (from Softvelocity).

I also use it to deal with X12 messages. Unfortunately, I have to use a different editor because of the line limits in MultiEdit 9.1 (the EDI files don’t have a requirement for a carriage return).

Leslie Satenstein
    Participant

I use MEW for the Baan language. We are 4 programmers in the department and we use it around 35 hours a week.
    The baan.s feature makes it invaluable. This set of macros alone is worth the cost of multi-edit.
    I would guess that we code around 2000 lines a week.

BUT we make use of multiedit to edit and format reports, text files and a lot more. What a wonderful tool.

cobus
    Participant

We mainly program in C for embedded systems.
    We also use C++ for embedded systems.
    Editor is always MEW.
    Test apps usually get written in Borland C++ Builder or Kylix. Then we use the Borland IDE.
    We have an increasing need for ME on Linux, again for C/C++ embedded systems.

Normann
    Participant

At work, I code in C++ (90% of time) and Java. For the C++ development we are using the Metrowerks CodeWarrior, but I hate their editor IDE and thus I use MEW instead. I am the only one, however. As for the Java development, I use pure MEW (no IDE’s at all).

At home, however, I code only in Java. I there use Eclipse as the platform, because of the great interactivity with my coding.

Mike Wilson
    Participant

C for embedded, several compilers. C++, windows, along with Visual Studio 6. Some assembly, infrequent incursions into other languages, I use CMAC too.
    Our group uses CodeWrong, but I bought my personal copy of MEW (i’ve been using since version 7 DOS), I couldn’t stand the differences. I use BSC utility extensively, re-compiling C/c++ source for GNU with the microsoft tools, just so I can have this functionality.

rjkantor
    Participant

I would like to see native support for PowerBasic.

Thanks,
    Robert Kantor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.