Record hook not freed??

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support Record hook not freed??

This topic contains 112 replies, has 86,888 voices, and was last updated by  ashleyco 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
  • Author

GeoJeff
    Participant

If anyone cares, I no longer am getting this error when recording keystrokes. I removed ‘read only’ access on several files in my MEW directory and I also tried to re-install MEW8.0j. I don’t know which fixed the problem.

Jeff

GeoJeff
    Participant

Arrrrg,
    I was getting this error, then I thought it was fixed, but now the error comes and goes. It seems when I start getting the error, if I re-boot, I am again able to record macros.

Jeff

Carloche
    Participant

For the first time since this particular problem was reported I myself managed to reproduce it once on accident. Opening and closing the program had no effect. I then closed out another program that was concurrently running (Trillian, an IM program) and the problem was gone. Since then I have not been able to reproduce the issue. So, perhaps we’ve got other programs grabbing the record hook and not letting go. Next time someone has the issue go through a program at a time closing them out until the problem is gone and post results. Going into the Processes on the Task Manager may be necessary if straight closing of applications doesn’t alleviate the problem.

Carloche
    Participant

ReidSweatman
    Participant

Yeah. Look back at my earlier responses in the thread. Also, this is starting to look like the infamous “white title bar” hangs caused by an interaction between a Microsoft patch (documented in many earlier board messages) and Multi-Edit. Of course, it could be something totally different, but that’s what it’s feeling like. Gee, don’t you just love hearing developers talking about the code in terms of “feelings?” Think I’ll sing a verse…. ;)

jbrandwood
    Participant

I’ve been having this problem for about a week now. It is happening 100% of the time on my machine.

I’ve closed-down all other apps, and gone into the Task Manager and shutdown every process that it will let me kill, and it still happens.

I’ve copied the entire directory tree of a working copy of Multiedit from another computer to my machine, and the problem still happens.

The computer is part of a network, but the Multiedit installation is stand-alone.

This is with ME 9.10.04 and I’m running Win2000 with all the latest patches.

If you guys can come up with some test code I’d be happy to run it. If you can suggest where I can put a breakpoint, I’d be happy to help debug it but I’ve only got VC++6 and Visual Studio 2003 installed.

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

If you can suggest where I can put a breakpoint, I’d be happy to help debug it but I’ve only got VC++6 and Visual Studio 2003 installed.[/quote:3e72ls41]

If you can put breakpoint to UnhookWindowsHookEx() Win32 API in MEW32 process, you’d probably see it fails and then this famous message is displayed. The question is why it fails. It would help to see the last error code i.e. what GetLastError() Win32 API returns. Unfortunately, MEW doesn’t call it in this case. If I’m able to reproduce this error (never saw it), I’d trace into above mentioned function and try to find reason why it failed, at assembly level, of course. Next possibility is to let it fail and examine error code stored in thread internals. I’m not quite sure, where it is stored; what might work is to force debugger to jump to GetLastError() and examine what it returns. MEW would crash afterwards, of course.

I’m not sure if something from above is feasible for you.

jbrandwood
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion.

I’m not familiar with the internals of Windows, but I’ll get one of my programmers who has Win32 experience to walk me through it.

nxtek
    Participant

Is there a solution to this? I’ve tried many of the suggestions and no luck.

Dan Luther
    Participant

Outlook 2003 seemed to be a problem for me.

As long as ME is loaded before Outlook, things seem to work quite well.

jbrandwood
    Participant

I managed to get ME working a couple of times by being careful about the order (and timing) of my startup, particularly with Outlook XP.

Unfortunately it didn’t last, and I’m back to a non-working state.

I’ve asked a couple of the Windows programmers here about debugging the ME process from Visual Studio as Michal suggested, and they uniformly tell me that ME support should be sending me a debug build before they’d even consider trying to help find the problem that way.

Basically, I can only agree.

nxtek
    Participant

Closing Outlook before opening ME did not help.

Is anyone from ME seeing this thread? Help?

Carloche
    Participant

Is anyone from ME seeing this thread? Help?[/quote:xzp11vav]

We certainly are. This thread and all others are monitored daily by the staff. Unfortunately, in the case of this specific problem and why the thread continues to propagate is the fact that we have been unable to reproduce the problem consistently. In fact, on this end the problem was only ever seen in actuality once, as I reported in a previous post. And then, afterwards was no longer reproducible again. Even in using multiple users own configurations, the problem has not been reproduced. So, in this extended troubleshooting process we’ve been trying to narrow things down in a logical manner and have come up with a few things, most notably that it seems to be a specific environment that is causing the error, but determining the exactness of this is going to require some deeper debugging with those individuals like yourself and jbrandwood and assistance from the Development team on this end, which is not something that is able to always come quick and fast, as they are also working on all their development projects for the next release.

You’re saying that none of the previous suggestions have worked at all and in no environment, only ME running after a fresh reboot or even in Safe Mode, that you are never able to record keyboard macros and always get this error?

nxtek
    Participant

Correct. Is there any sort of debugging information that can be captured to determine the cause?

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

Outlook 2003 seemed to be a problem for me.

As long as ME is loaded before Outlook, things seem to work quite well.[/quote:22zualeb]

I just tried it on coworker’s computer who uses Outlook 2003 and wasn’t able to reproduce problem. Macros were recorded correctly regardless of order in which MEW and Outlook started.

Could you tell me exact OS and Outlook versions and SPs? I tried it on XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP1.

Anything else which could help to reproduce it? Is it always reproducible or is it invoked on some order of events, keys etc. ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.