Search result personalization

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support Search result personalization

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    effemmeffe
    Participant

I find very messu the search result window.
    Is it possible to remove the history from there?
    And the line number of every occurrence?

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    You can press the right pointing arrow button in the search results and Select Clear All to remove the previous search results. You can right click on the first entry of a search result (the entry that lists the file name) and select collapse to hide the line results or you can delete that entry. When you do a multi file search you can uncheck "list all occurrences" to limit the search results to only the first occurrence.

Thanks,
    Clay

effemmeffe
    Participant

You can press the right pointing arrow button in the search results and Select Clear All to remove the previous search results.[/quote:87wuej0d]

I’d like not to have the previous results by default.
    Can’t this be a preference anywhere to switch on or off?
    Moreover, I can’t think a scenario in which the search history is needed: if I need to search something I do a search. If I need to search something that I already searched before I can do the same search again and I don’t need to remember when I did that particular search and find it in the history.
    Besides there is the history of searched terms in the search mask so I can redo an old search from there: this is a great feature.

You can right click on the first entry of a search result (the entry that lists the file name) and select collapse to hide the line results or you can delete that entry.
    When you do a multi file search you can uncheck "list all occurrences" to limit the search results to only the first occurrence.
    [/quote:87wuej0d]

I don’t have anymore the old version, but I remember that the results are presented quite differently: there was a line with the filename and then below that line there was all the occurrences for that file with just the line number and the text.
    In the 2k8 version I find very confusing the tree and the icons and the line number with all those zeroes at the beginning: what’s the point of having the 12 digit line number with most of them at zero? Who needs to search in a file with billion lines? And even if someone needs it, why dont have the number without the padding zeroes at the beginning? So if I just have files with few lines I’ll see results like this:

my_file_1.c
    20 dummy = 0;
    37 dummy++;
    500 function(dummy);

my_file_3.h
    1 uchar dummy;
    37 uint another_dummy_var;
    102 // dummy definition

and so on.
    I think it’s more easy to read at a glance that is what one needs when a file search is done.

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    So if I understand you, you would like no leading zeroes on the line number and an option to delete previous search results, when a new search is done. Although I’m not quite sure about why the leading zeros are included in the results, I understand why the search results are not disposed of immediately. I on many occasions have done a search to find all the occurrences of something, like "dummy", clicked on a result to go to that line, then done another search for what I wanted to see around "dummy", then gone back to the previous search results to jump to the next occurrence of "dummy". Not sure if you are aware of it, but you can double click on a search results line and that file will be opened (multi file search) and the cursor placed on that line of the file.
    Thanks,
    Clay

effemmeffe
    Participant

The same result can be achieved searching dummy, double click on the occurrence, searching the next world and then searching for dummy again: you still have dummy in the history in the search panel. No need to clutter the search result with old values…
    I made a screenshot of the zeroes at the beginning of every line:

ME2k8.png

tlscales
    Participant

I’m with Clay on this one – I have the same scenario, and since the initial search often covers thousands of files and takes several minutes, redoing the initial search after each iteration is a real time waster.

effemmeffe
    Participant

I’m not saying that the feature should be removed.
    I’m saying that it should be optional.

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    I will place your suggestion (optional search results deleted on next search) and the issue about the leading zeros on the wish list/bug report list for the next build.

Thanks,
    Clay

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.