Sharing violation problem with autosave?

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support Sharing violation problem with autosave?

This topic contains 42 replies, has 23,599 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Jordan 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Michal,
    made the changes to PreviewPane.s as you described, recompiled and rebuilt the macro library. Turned the preview pane option back on.

Error occured as before.
    Sorry. :cry:

Checked the file properties of both of the windows with main.css and the properties are essentialy the same as I listed before.

BTW I have had this error occure with files(.shtml) that did not have a .css extension so I guess that this problem is not related to the fact that with .css files the project pane selection does not follow the tab selection.

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

Clay,

that’s strange. Could you try yet another test? Replace xload_file() call with following:
    [code:1bz5bovj]Load_File(fn);
    Mark_Pos;
    Eof;
    Goto_Mark;
    [/code:1bz5bovj]

It should cause complete file load and hopefully avoid the problem. You can omit mark functions to verify the code was really used and use just following:
    [code:1bz5bovj]Load_File(fn);
    Eof;[/code:1bz5bovj]

In Preview pane files which’d cause the problem should have cursor moved to the end (file should be scrolled there).

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Hi Michal,

I replaced with the first block of code, no change, same error, same indications.

I then put my cursor in the preview pane, scrolled to the bottom then back to the top, then changed to main.css in the edit window, made a change and and sent the file. Same error, same indications (200 char loaded, and a last mod time slightly younger than that of the file in the edit pane).

I thought it worth repeteing that if I manualy save main.css before attempting to send either with a save all or just save, the error does not occure.

Interesting but not nessisarily usefull: I was playing around changing things manualy saving, sending, checking properties of edit and preview pane and the properties for the preview pane changed such that is showed fully loaded. I made a change in the edit window and did a manual save and got the error then a file access violation. I ran the winop macro and realized that main.css appeared 3 times. Sure enough there was a second edit window open. I did not do anything to cause this (would not know how, give the actions I was doing, ususaly when you double click on a file in the project pane (I may have done this not on purpose) and it is already open, you do not get another instance. I closed the second instance and went back to what I had been doing (changing saving checking properties) and I noticed that the preview pane was back to being partialy loaded. I will see if I can replicate this in a string of actions that I can report on accurately.

HTH
    Clay

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Noticed something else, may not be important, the properties for the preview pane don’t show read-only. I tried to edit in preview pane, nothing happens (as expected, its the preview pane not an edit pane :D ). Don’t know how this relates to the read only checkbox in the properties for the preview pane.

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

Clay,

well, I don’t understand it :? What I’d do but don’t have time for just now are traces. If you can, add extensive traces to PreviewPane.s file. Every function enter/leave should be traced and also interesting branches of code. It should reveal code flow and maybe reasons why it behaves this way. I especially don’t understand partial load after code change.

If you haven’t used traces before, examine tdbg.sh file where are my comments and then I’d recommend to read article Reid wrote about TDBG: [url:38asrboy]http://www.multieditsoftware.com/TheDev/trace_facility.htm[/url:38asrboy]. Or maybe in opposite order.

Graeme
    Participant

Hi,

We have a 15 user network version of multi edit 9.03 running on a windows 2000 server and a mixture of 2000 and xp clients.

I and 2 others are getting this error intermittently when trying to save files.

It gives the error when clicking the save button on the toolbar but will successfully save when you switch tasks.

We do not have the preview pane turned on.

We are using the project manager.

The files are on a local drive with no other applications accessing them (checked in process explorer and nothing – including multiedit – has a handle to the file)

Finally – before starting to write this post it was giving me this error and in the time it has taken me to write it it has stopped producing the error!

Hope that this helps,

Graeme

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

Graeme,

could you check if affected files are opened twice with different buffers as described in previous posts? I mean list all windows including system ones and find all instances of affected file and check properties. Also, it could help to use FileMon and Process Explorer as described before. I’m interested if these files are partially loaded and if MEW keeps opened handle to them.

Graeme
    Participant

Michal,

I tried looking in ProcessExplorer and did not see any handles being created. I will try FileMon and the listing of all windows including hidden ones next time it happens.

Cheers,

Graeme

Ken Walker
    Participant

Does anyone know if there was a solution to this problem?

Graeme
    Participant

No solution that I know of, we still get it occasionally.

Graeme

pvillegeek
    Participant

Hi,

I was having the same problem, it just started today and was very annoying! I realized what was causing my problem was that i had two copies of the same file open in Multi-Edit. After i closed the extra copy the problem went away for me…

Hope this helps.

Graeme
    Participant

Which version are you using?

I have not had this problem for several months (> 8) now, with the same level on ME use.

I have had 2 copies of the same file open on many occasions in multi edit but I can’t remember if this was the case when we were getting these issues.

Graeme

Chris Jordan
    Participant

Upgraded to ME2006. Windows XP SP2. Issue has appeared sporadically.

Options "Save when switching task" and "Reload when switching back" set. 5 min timer, 30 sec keybd inactivity.

Collapse dialogue and preview pane open.

Problem appears sporadically when I click out of ME to another application, forcing a save. I suspect that I click out, then back into ME because I see another change, then back out to an open CHM file, all before the saves can complete, causing the problem.

Clicking "cancel" resulted in the box popping back when changing applications again.

Clicking "cancel", then doing the following prevented the dialogue box from reappearing.
    1) Opened "Save as" dialogue. Did not save
    2) Closed Preview Pane
    3) Made change in file, then manual "save" via File Menu.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.