Synchronized window scroll?

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support Synchronized window scroll?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eric Pement
    Participant

Is synchronized window scrolling or cursor scrolling a built-in feature of Multi-Edit, or does it exist in any user-written functions?

Suppose I have a split-screen in Multi-Edit, with 2 windows showing (Window–>Tile Horizontal). It might be 2 windows from 2 separate files or 2 windows from the same file. I would like to synchronize the cursor movement or the line movement for the two windows, so that when I press the DOWN key in one window, the other window scrolls down also. When I move the cursor up to find text above the cursor location, the lines in the other window move up also.

This is not quite the same as a DIFF operation, because I don’t really want to compare the two buffers and highlight the differences between them. Instead, I want to sync the cursor or line movement between 2 windows.

I’m using Multi-Edit 9.0e. Is such a feature available with this version?

Bret Sutton
    Participant

When I first read your post, I thought, what a weird idea. A more-or-less sync macro. Then I realized that I had wished for the same ability on several occasions in the past.

It shouldn’t be too hard to do (famous last words!) using logic similar to (with luck, simpler than) that in _FcMatchPos (see FC.S). I think you might need to manually establish a sync point first. Take the case where file A has sections 1,2,3 and file B has sections 1,3,4 and you want to more-or-less sync on section 3. You’d need to position both to section 3 and then start the sync. Of course you then have to answer the question of what to do if you go to EOL. Sync both on EOL (losing section 3 sync) or keep the sync by line count? And you’d have to provide a way to turn off the sync and restart it.

I bet, by the time I get done thinking about it, someone will have written it. That’s the cool thing about Multi-Edit.

Eric Pement
    Participant

I think you might need to manually establish a sync point first.[/quote:2k5qioob]
    Oh, absolutely, that would be necessary. Move the cursor to where you want it in window A, move the cursor to where you want it in window B, and turn on the sync-windows function.

Of course you then have to answer the question of what to do if you go to EOL. Sync both on EOL (losing section 3 sync) or keep the sync by line count?[/quote:2k5qioob]
    I don’t think that would be much of an issue, since Multi-Edit doesn’t have much of a notion of EOL when it comes to cursor movement. If I move the cursor to the far right of a file which is “ragged right”, and press the down arrow, the cursor goes straight down, regardless of the fact that the EOL is actually 50 characters to the left

Sync-windows would be a toggle switch. Either it’s on or it’s off, and probably no one would want it to be feature permanently invoked on start-up. I’m using another editor right now that has this feature, and I was wondering if Multi-Edit already had this function or (if not) if it was easily codeable.

Bret Sutton
    Participant

I’m sorry. I meant EOF, not EOL. Sections 1, 2, etc. vertical, not horizontal.

I’m tempted to play around with it, but it would be in my spare time (not much of that, I’m afraid), and it probably wouldn’t be done for months.

lhuntus
    Participant

Hi there,

Today I found out that I also are in great need of a synchronized window scroll function.
    Exactly like outlined in this post, first establish a sync point and then use a toggle switch to turn the sync on and off.

I really hope such a feature will be available in a near future in Multi-Edit…!

Eric, could you please tell me what other editor you are using that has this feature?

Thanks,

Leif Huntus

Eric Pement
    Participant

Today I found out that I also are in great need of a synchronized window scroll function. […]

I really hope such a feature will be available in a near future in Multi-Edit…!

Eric, could you please tell me what other editor you are using that has this feature?[/quote:24fx3isd]
    Actually, I’m using two other editors that have this feature. Both editors have usergroups on yahoogroups. One is a public domain programmer’s editor that I use regularly, TDE (the Thomson-Davis Editor). It is currently maintained and developed, it runs under DOS/Windows/Linux, and you can get the source code and precompiled binaries from [url:24fx3isd]http://www.geocities.com/jadoxa/tde[/url:24fx3isd]

The other editor is TSE Pro, The Semware Editor. TSE is also a programmer’s editor developed from an older DOS editor named QEDIT. It’s also maintained, except that it’s commercial software ($99). You can download demo copies of TSE from [url:24fx3isd]http://www.semware.com[/url:24fx3isd].

Both of these editors have fully-remappable keyboards, and I have remapped the keys and commands on each of them to mimic the WordStar keymap. I like TSE, but I really like public-domain TDE also. I use TDE more often than TSE, maybe 4 days a week several times a day. (I regularly use 7 or 8 different editors. Multi-Edit is very high on my list, but it doesn’t do everything.) Hope this helps.

lhuntus
    Participant

Eric,

I’ve tried them both and either of them will do the trick. But I felt most comfortable in TSE Pro, so I will go for that until Multi-Edit has this feature.

Thanks again,

Leif Huntus

deleyd
    Participant

I just released my EDX 3.0 package which includes Sync Windows, inspired by this post. The package is at [url:3jiyt73k]http://www.multieditsoftware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=489[/url:3jiyt73k]

TOGGLE SYNC SPLIT WINDOWS
    If you have a split window this will sync both windows together so if you move up/down in one window the other window also moves up/down. (Also syncs left/right.) Just like Multi-Edit file compare, without the file compare.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.