Trita does not run

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support Trita does not run

This topic contains 28 replies, has 10,434 voices, and was last updated by  tlscales 15 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

paul-white
    Participant

Is anyone else experiencing problems with Trita?

I upgraded from 9.0e to 9.10 and found that Trita did not run, I just saw the dialog boxes open and that’s how they remained. I then completely uninstalled ME and re-installed after deleting all registry entries and redundant files. No change. Control-Alt -Delete showed a number of “Trita” or “Tritarunner” entries in the Task Manager and I had click on End-Task to remove them. I can’t even get the Configuration panel to run.

After several days of trying in vain to get Trita working I was going to post here to slag off ME but I’m glad I didn’t because I downloaded the stand-alone version from the Trita site and was most surprised to find that version doesn’t work either so it isn’t a ME configuration problem. I’ve emailed Matt Jones and am waiting for a reply but I thought I would post here as there has been very little feedback, good or bad, on Trita.

All this has been tried on 2 PCs, both running the original version of Windows 98. The results are identical.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be? Is this problem specific to Windows 98? Is everyone happy with ME’s Trita integration?

paul-white
    Participant

Is anyone else experiencing problems with Trita?

I upgraded from 9.0e to 9.10 and found that Trita did not run, I just saw the dialog boxes open and that’s how they remained. I then completely uninstalled ME and re-installed after deleting all registry entries and redundant files. No change. Control-Alt -Delete showed a number of “Trita” or “Tritarunner” entries in the Task Manager and I had click on End-Task to remove them. I can’t even get the Configuration panel to run.

After several days of trying in vain to get Trita working I was going to post here to slag off ME but I’m glad I didn’t because I downloaded the stand-alone version from the Trita site and was most surprised to find that version doesn’t work either so it isn’t a ME configuration problem. I’ve emailed Matt Jones and am waiting for a reply but I thought I would post here as there has been very little feedback, good or bad, on Trita.

All this has been tried on 2 PCs, both running the original version of Windows 98. The results are identical.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be? Is this problem specific to Windows 98? Is everyone happy with ME’s Trita integration?[/quote:a43bhd9b]
    Since I wrote the above, Matt Jones has supplied an update that successfully corrects whatever problem there was. You can get if from http://www.trita.com/download – it’s the ZIP file at the bottom of the page.

At this point I ask myself just how much testing is there with Windows 98 these days? Perhaps it’s time to upgrade. :x

tlscales
    Participant

Not having the same symptoms, but trita is not running for me either. I am running a copy of MEW 9.1 that I just installed in the same directory as the 2nd beta (never got the release candidate). When I try to “config code formatter” from the Tools menu, a dialog box flashes on the screen too quickly to read, then disappears, and nothing else happens. I am assuming something should? I am running NT 4.0.

ReidSweatman
    Participant

We recommend, most strenuously, that you install Multi-Edit 9.10 into a new directory, and not directly over an existing copy. While this may have (mostly) worked in the past, for a number of reasons, it will not work correctly with this version. If you want to keep the directory name the same, just rename the old one, and install Multi-Edit 9.10 into a new directory with the old name. You’ll be asked during the installation if you want to import the configuration from a prior installation, at which point you can specify the location of whichever copy you want to use. Besides this, you’ll find that the new installer copies considerably more of your old configuration than previous installers did, including things like user-modified template files.

I don’t know for a fact that Trita installs incorrectly because of this, but it’s likely, and there will be other issues, so be sure to install to a new directory.

tlscales
    Participant

Finally got around to doing an upgrade yesterday (to 9.10.02). Did a full install to a new directory, copying my old config when prompted. Trita still does not run. All I get when I try to configure it (using Tools | Config Code Formatter) or run it (Tools | Format Code) is an empty Output pane at the bottom of my MEW window.

I have tried downloading the latest version of Trita, as recommended in Paul-White’s post above, with no effect.

I’d really like to get Trita working, as our company policy is to reformat any code we update significantly to our current standards, and this is kind of a pain to do manually in large files.

tlscales
    Participant

Finally got around to doing an upgrade yesterday (to 9.10.02). Did a full install to a new directory, copying my old config when prompted. Trita still does not run. All I get when I try to configure it (using Tools | Config Code Formatter) or run it (Tools | Format Code) is an empty Output pane at the bottom of my MEW window.

I have tried downloading the latest version of Trita, as recommended in Paul-White’s post above, with no effect.

I’d really like to get Trita working, as our company policy is to reformat any code we update significantly to our current standards, and this is kind of a pain to do manually in large files.

ReidSweatman
    Participant

I assume from your remarks that you’re installing a stand-alone version. One thing that may not be immediately apparent is that both of the menu items for Trita assume you have open in the current window a file of a type Trita knows how to format. If this isn’t the case, all that will happen is that you’ll get an informational notice to that effect in the status line.

If you do have open, say, an HTML or CMac file, the next thing to do is verify that the Formatter: textbox in the Language Setup dialog for the particular language reads Trita^TritaRun. If not, change it so it does and try again.

tlscales
    Participant

I tried running Trita with one of my own c++ source files in the active window, and with one of Trita’s example files. Result was the same both times (both before and after upgrading). “Trita^TritaRun” is in my C++ language setup Formatter textbox (and has been there since I originally installed 9.10.00).

ReidSweatman
    Participant

I haven’t been able to replicate this. Try doing a clean install to a different directory, without importing old settings, and see if Trita works then. If it does, then something is corrupt in your old setup.

tlscales
    Participant

This may take a while, as installation requires admin privileges (any chance of removing this requirement in future releases?) which require a special dispensation from our overworked IT staff. I may have to wait for the next release to to this. Is there anything I could look for in my config files that might offer a hint and/or be something I can fix without being an admin?

ReidSweatman
    Participant

Let me ask for clarification here. Are you running a Network install or a Stand-alone install? If you’re not sure, the easiest way to find out is to see whether the ME91_CFG_DIR variable exists in your Windows environment; if it does, it’s a Network installation; Stand-alone otherwise.

Second, which version number shows in the splash screen accessible via Help | About… in the main menu bar?

Third, do you know, even roughly, the date your Multi-Edit installer was downloaded?

And last, exactly which rights do you have to the locations Multi-Edit operates from?

As for removing the requirement for admin privileges, the only change we could make in our code would be to relocate our setup files. While that would remove the current requirement for modify rights to files within the installation directory, it wouldn’t remove the requirement for admin rights. That’s imposed by your sysadmins, and is strictly up to them. If you don’t have rights to create and (usually) modify files in a location, you can’t install anything there. What you’re running up against there is local corporate policy. Some outfits just let their developers run in Admin mode all the time; others impose tighter security requirements, one of which is to prevent users from installing code on their own recognizance.

tlscales
    Participant

I am running a standalone install of (as of a couple of days ago) version 9.10.02 on Windows NT 4.0.

I originally downloaded and installed version 9.10.00 on 12/23/03, updated to 9.10.02 (installed to a new directory, with configuration copied from 9.10.00) on 3/22/04.

According to the properties dialog of my MEW directory, I have “Full Control”. I also have full control of the “Program Files” directory, where the MEW directory is located, but only “Change (RWXD)” permissions on the root directory of my hard disk. Which system directories does MEW’s install need the admin rights to (that’s specifically what it complains about during the install)?

You are correct about the admin rights being company policy – this is one of the more corporate places I have worked, and they are a little anal about letting us do anything to our machines without permission (the only place I have ever worked where developers don’t have fairly complete control of their own machines). Other packages do not require the admin rights for install, though – Beyond Compare installs just fine without them, for example.

ReidSweatman
    Participant

Based on that info, I would venture that the “admin” problem is caused because your user account doesn’t have sufficient rights in a couple of the registry hives to allow Multi-Edit to create the keys it needs. We actually go to some rather extreme lengths to keep our registry footprint tiny, and it certainly is for a program of this complexity. We’d eliminate any use of the registry at all if we could, but that’s not possible, for a number of reasons. I haven’t looked at Beyond Compare’s registry footprint, but I’ll wager it doesn’t go beyond an entry in HKCU\Software, unless you specified that it register its classes, in which case there might be entries in HKCR. I believe that’s an option in Beyond Compare.

For a stand-alone install, Multi-Edit requires full rights to its own directory and subdirectories, and create rights (and the other rights usually lumped together with create) in a few registry locations. After install, it only requires create and modify permissions to a smaller subset of the registry, and some files in its <ME_PATH>\Config and <ME_PATH>\Config directories, although it’s easier to assign those rights to the directories themselves. If you locate project, session, NoteBook, program temporary, tag, or backup files in other locations, you’ll need the same rights to those locations.

As for the problem with Trita, I suspect you may not be running a Java virtual machine, either Microsoft’s (no longer supported by them), or anyone else’s. Since Trita requires one, if you aren’t running one, you’ll have to download and install one. It’s been quite a while since I last ran under NT 4, so I don’t remember of a certainty whether it had one by default, but I don’t believe it did.

tlscales
    Participant

Must be the registry that is causing problems on the install. Odds are I’ll probably have to live with that, then, given company policy.

I do not have Java installed, and, interestingly, I can’t install Sun’s JRE without admin rights on my PC (I’m not as surprised as I wish I were, under the circumstances). Sounds like it’s time for another trip through the bowels of the IT bureaucracy…..

It might be worth mentioning the requirement for Java to run Trita in the MEW readme file.

Thanks for the assistance.

ReidSweatman
    Participant

You’re right, that should be in the installation instructions, and it will be, shortly. As for requiring admin rights to install a Java virtual machine, yes, I would expect that it would be necessary, as that’s a pretty complex chunk of software, requiring substantial hooks into the system.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.