Trita does not run

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support Trita does not run

This topic contains 28 replies, has 10,434 voices, and was last updated by  tlscales 15 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

tlscales
    Participant

Ok – I have gotten Sun’s JRE installed, but Trita still doesn’t run. If I select either Tools | Config Code Formatter or Tools | Format Code from the menu, a dialog box appears and then disappears too quickly to read, and an empty output pane is displayed. If I go into Explorer and click on the Trita executable, a dialog box pops up titled “ConfigTool could not read registry value” with text “The system cannot find the file specified”.

Am I possibly missing a registry entry needed to run Trita from MEW?

Does the JRE need to be present when MEW is installed for Trita to be configured correctly?

BrentStroh
    Participant

You aren’t missing a registry entry; the version of Trita licensed for distribution with MEW is the “integration version” which only works when called from the IDE – in this case, MEW. I haven’t looked at precisely how it works, but that error message does not indicate a problem.

Can you use the ‘Tools|Config Code Formatter’ or does that do something similar? What you should be seeing is a MEW ‘Executing…’ dialog, which gives you the command line being run. This is followed by the Trita dialog, which runs for a second or two, and disappears.

I haven’t found a way to get Trita to pause after formatting, yet, but if I come up with a way to get the Trita window to stay open longer, I’ll let you know.

Edit: Hmm. It does appear that syntactically incorrect files will leave the Trita dialog open, but I suspect you won’t be getting that far, as quickly as the dialog appears/disappears… Add an unmatched brace somewhere (or your language’s equivalent, if you aren’t using something C-ish…) and see if that helps.

tlscales
    Participant

As mentioned in a previous post, attempting to configure the code formatter has the same effect as attempting to format — a dialog box appears, then disappears to quickly to read. Adding syntax errors to the file has no effect on the behavior of either operation (although it does seem to indicate that the macro that calls trita is being executed, since the modified file was saved before the popup dialog flashed on the screen).

tlscales
    Participant

OK – I have Sun’s JRE version 1.4.2_04 Java HotSpot Client VM installed. I have a clean copy of MEW 9.10.03 installed. I downloaded the latest version of PolyStyle from their website as suggested in the 9.10.03 readme file. PolyStyle still does not run, with the same symptoms described earlier in this thread. Is there anything else I need to install, or any other settings I can check to try to get this working?

ReidSweatman
    Participant

It turns out that a virtual machine isn’t necessary, as Polystyle is statically linked with everything necessary in that regard. My apologies for the erroneous earlier post.

The obvious things to check are that you checked the Polystyle box during installation, and that the Polystyle^PolystyleRun entry exists in the Language dialog for the language in question, as I mentioned in an earlier post.

If all that is true, then we’re most likely back to a rights issue.

tlscales
    Participant

Checked the PolyStyle entry during installation, and the Polystyle^PolystyleRun entry exists in my C/C++ language dialog. When I try to run Tools | Format Code or Config Code Formatter, I see the command line at the bottom of my MEW window (“C:\Program Files\Multi-edit 9.10\Utils\PolystyleExec.exe” “<my file name with complete path>”). Rights are not the issue — I still have admin rights on my machine, and will until the next time I reboot.

Carloche
    Participant

Just having dealt with another user getting similar results, the problem was the missing Polystyle folder that belongs in the root directory of his ME install.

There are two Polystyle folders. One that belongs in the Addons folder and contains 3 files: Install.lst Polystyle.dat Polystyle.s. The other Polystyle folder (which is the one you would replace with the IDE Integration download from the Polystyle Download page[/url:1f1ipkg5″>) belongs in the root directory, i.e. <ME_Install>\Polystyle and which contains the actual program. Once we downloaded and placed that folder in the proper place everything was good to go.

tlscales
    Participant

I’m already set up that way. Anything else I should check?

Carloche
    Participant

You mention in a previous post that you weren’t able (or would need special permission/dispesation from your IT dept) to do a fresh install, but this may be where your at. I would uninstall any standalone Trita or Polystyle. Uninstall, or at the very least rename the directory your current Multi-Edit installation resides. Then, in the reinstallation as Reid suggested, don’t copy over any previous configurations and of course make sure to select Polystyle during the component selection process.

Other than that, it seems most everything has been tried here.

tlscales
    Participant

Installed MEW 9.10.03 yesterday in a clean directory before my previous post. I have never had a standalone Trita/Polystyle installation, so that should not be an issue. Does Polystyle depend on any specific settings outside MEW (internet, etc.)?

ReidSweatman
    Participant

tlscales
    Participant

I have been in contact with Matt Jones at Polystyle, and after running some test code he supplied, he believes there is a problem with the interface between MEW and Polystyle. He should be in touch with someone at MESI to resolve the issue shortly.

DanHughes
    Participant

One thing to try is to open up a command prompt window and change to the Multi-Edit directory. Now run the following command line and see if you can get Polystyle to run.

[code:2c1kvite]
    Utils\PolystyleExec.exe /CFG
    [/code:2c1kvite]

Our interface is working correctly here and for most users, the one thing I see that differs is that you are running Windows NT and I am running XP. I currently don’t have an NT system setup so that I can test to see if that might be the issue.

tlscales
    Participant

Does nothing. So far, the only way to bring up the config and/or format a file is the test code Matt jones asked me to try this morning.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.