VCS Directories

Product Compare Forums Multi-Edit Support VCS Directories

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SrqDan
    Participant

I have built up an extensive list of directories associated with my VCS tool (which happens to be VSS). I am moving MultiEdit to my new computer and would like to know if there’s a way to export this directory list from my old computer and import it on the new computer.

Thanks,
    Dan

Bret Sutton
    Participant

This is a shot in the dark, as I cannot connect to my work VSS environment and experiment. But if you want an answer now, rather than waiting until next week, here’s my attempt. I’ll be glad to be shot down by more knowledgeable ME users.

The MECONFIG.DB file contains a heck of a lot of settings that you’ll probably want to migrate across. If you’ll be using the same version of Multi-Edit on your new machine, you may just try moving that whole file across.

I found these lines in my MECONFIG.DB file:[code:1n2h18mr]SSAFE.VAD [That line actually starts with a formfeed]
    FD=V:\DEV\AD=$\EXPORT\
    FD=V:\DEV\CMD\AD=$\EXPUTIL\CHECKOUT\CMD\
    FD=V:\DEV\JOB\AD=$\EXPUTIL\CHECKOUT\CMD\
    FD=V:\DEV\LIB\AD=$\EXPORT\
    FD=V:\DEV\SRC\AD=$\EXPORT\
    FD=V:\DEV\VIEW\AD=$\EXPORT\
    FD=V:\DOC\AD=$\EXPORT DOCUMENTATION\
    FD=V:\PORTING\AD=$\EXPORT DOCUMENTATION\PORTING\
    FD=\\chq-mis-fs\group$\EXPORT DEV\SOURCE\AD=$\EXPORT\[/code:1n2h18mr]
    That sure looks like an associated directory list. So maybe just make sure those lines make it to your new machine?

SrqDan
    Participant

My MECONFIG.DB file has the following lines:

SSAFE.VAD
    FD=I:\SRC\MEW\VCS\AD=$\VCS\
    FD=I:\SRC\TEST\AD=$\TEST\

I’m not sure what to make of this. I can’t find where these directories exists and neither of them are what I have set up in my directory list.

Bret Sutton
    Participant

It’s possible that there are multiple locations in your MECONFIG.DB that show values for certain settings. At least, I’ve found that with mine. A lot appear to be duplicates or old ones that don’t get deleted when MECONFIG.DB is updated (i.e., when you change your settings via the Tools | Customize menu).

That’s as much as I can tell you. I think you’ll have to wait for a response from someone else. Sorry.

SrqDan
    Participant

Thanks for the idea. I looked through all of the files in the MultiEdit directory and didn’t see any that had my directories in it. I also looked through the registry and didn’t see anything there either.

SrqDan
    Participant

Does anybody from MESI who is familiar with the code know where these directory associations are stored? If so, is there a way to export them? Thanks – Dan

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    Brett is right there are going to be entries in the meconfig.db file related to what Multi-Edit (ME) needs to know to work with the vcs system. And yes they could just be moved to your new meconfig.db file. The location of the active meconfig.db file and the other files that are writen to when you make changes to ME is here:
    viewtopic.php?t=2013

You might examine some of the files stored in the config and subdirectorys for references to your vss directory structure. The files in the ME install directory are all just factory defaults.

I wonder if the information you want, "extensive list of directories associated with my VCS tool" is stored by ME, versus VSS. See if this article about moving the VSS system to a new computer is useful.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176909

Also what are your settings in Tools-Customize-VCS? Do you have VSS tied to current file, or projects (Work Dir Setting)? If you have it set to projects it could be that the extensive list of directories is your project(s). I don’t use VSS so I’m not sure what "extensive list" you refer to.

Thanks,
    Clay

SrqDan
    Participant

Clay,

Thank you – that was very helpful. The extensive list of directories that I’m talking about is the one you get when you open the "VCS" menu item and then click on "Associate directories…". See attached file.

I was looking in the ME install directory and not where the active meconfig.db file was being stored. Once I found that, I was able to copy the directory associations from the old computer’s meconfig.db file to the new computer’s meconfig.db file. Problem solved!

Thanks,
    Dan
    VCS.pdf

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.