Windows Vista Compatibility

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support Windows Vista Compatibility

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    sdw162006
    Participant

Windows Vista testing has begun.

For those users who’ve tried already to get Multi-Edit 2006 working with Windows Vista, thank you for your comments.

Some security properties MUST be changed to allow Multi-Edit to function
    After completing the installation, open Computer
    Browse to the Program Files folder.
    Look for the Multi-Edit 2006 folder
    Right click on Multi-Edit 2006, click on Properties
    Click on the Security tab
    Click on the Edit button
    Select Users
    Check the boxes for Modify and Write
    Hit Ok to set the new properties

This should allow Multi-Edit to work properly, even with UAC turned on (UAC is on by default). We are using Windows Vista Business. If these instructions don’t work for a different version of Vista, let us know.
    rightsA.jpg
    rightsB.jpg

sdw162006
    Participant

What we know so far:
    The installation works without error
    Opening, editing, closing files work properly
    Sessions work properly
    Projects work properly
    Tags work properly
    Search through current file, work properly
    Search through project, and folder work properly
    Search and replace work properly
    Compilers, tested with the CMac compiler, work properly

Feel free to post any additional features that you’ve used and work as they should.

What doesn’t work:
    Keyboard macros. Microsoft changed the journal hooks API, so keyboard and mouse macro recording and playing doesn’t work right now. We are looking into what changes were made and what we can do to restore keyboard macro functionality.

Please post any features that you find don’t work. Thank you.

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

What doesn’t work:
    Keyboard macros. Microsoft changed the journal hooks API, so keyboard and mouse macro recording and playing doesn’t work right now. We are looking into what changes were made and what we can do to restore keyboard macro functionality.[/quote:1t5ihtfw]

Really? Good opportunity to replace journaling hooks which cause unsolvable problems even at older OS versions. Not easy, I looked into it when tried to find what can cause these problems.

BTW, I have Vista installed and haven’t noticed it. It is so obnoxious I use it for testing only and only when really necessary. So I seldom run MEW there.

sdw162006
    Participant

Some users are getting an error on startup of ME, Vista shows a dialog that multiedit has stopped working, looking for solution. In the background the ME
    splashscreen is up.

After pressing debug, It says "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in
    Mew32.exe [5388]

We are working toward finding the cause of this error.

Normann
    Participant

I am using MultiEdit 2006 ver. 10.03.00 and I have shifted to Windows Vista Ultimate. Problem is, when I create a new file and want to do a Save As, I get an error from Vista saying:

C:\Documents and Settings is not accessible.[/quote:3d5rthkg].

– and the file browser does not permit me to go to another place. See below…

The reason is of course the "improved" security in Vista with respect to where documents can be placed. I wonder if not an update of MultiEdit is about to become relevant…
    :?
    MultiEdit.jpg

sdw162006
    Participant

Normann, sounds like you migrated your settings from windows XP, we’ll have to fix the settings updates for the next update

Vista has changed where a users documents are stored, [code:i5c0f8v5]was C:\Documents and Settings\myName\My Documents
    now C:\Users\myName\Documents [/code:i5c0f8v5]

try checking the option for "use path from last file"
    (tools | customize | files)

that should change the path to where the current opened file is (assuming you’ve opened a file first, not a new file)

once you’ve got the Open dialog up, use the button to the right of the working directory field labeled
    Viewed directory -> Working directory
    to set the working directory to c:\users\……
    so that next time you have a new file, it will try to open that folder, rather than the non existent XP folder

Normann
    Participant

Yes, it’s true that I migrated from XP. I’ll try your advise – my example though was for a new file.

But thanx!

JQN
    Participant

I’ve installed it on Vista. No installation problems (a new installation without migration), previously I’ve get the property of "Program Files" folder to avoid UAC problems.

But at edit I’ve next problem:
    I’ve some source files with hexadecimal character 7F, this shows a small rectangle in W2K and XP. Vista don’t show it and skip abnormally across the window.

This is the first approach, I need to do more tests.
    I’m using Vista Home Premium Edition – MultiEdit 10.03.00

Joaquin

vespaman66
    Participant

Since a week, I am having another problem with ME2006 under Vista, I am not sure if it is because MS has changed something with the updates that arrives every now and then. I cannot think of anything that I have done to get this problem.

Anyway, the problem is that some dialogs does not appear (they are there, because ME looses focus, but they cannot be seen).
    The problem dialogs are the search dialog and the open file dialog.
    Other, such as the calculator etc still works.

Not being able to search is a real pain in my large project…..

Note; I’m using 10.00.01, since the .03 gives me the crash at startup.

sdw162006
    Participant

If you have two versions of Multi-Edit installed, only the most recently installed will run.
    Example:
    If you install 10.03, then install 10.01 – only 10.01 will work. Installing 10.03 again will allow it to work, but disable 10.01
    We are working on determining how Vista is causing this, and what we can do about it.

We have not encountered any problems with ME windows not appearing under Vista. Vespaman, please send a copy of your MeConfig file to support@multieditsoftware.com So we can attempt to duplicate the issue and fix it.
    The MeConfig file is located in the folder C:Program Files\Multi-Edit 2006\Config

SteveA
    Participant

Anyway, the problem is that some dialogs does not appear (they are there, because ME looses focus, but they cannot be seen).
    The problem dialogs are the search dialog and the open file dialog.
    Other, such as the calculator etc still works.
    [/quote:13cc4lj5]

Vespaman…

I’ve been able to duplicate your problem. Or at least see a similar problem.

I see the same results when switching between laptop and dual monitor display. It seems that when I’ve switched back to single display mode ME displays the File -> Open, File -> Save dialogs (possibly others) on the now dis-connected display.

I beleive that ME is remembering the previous window position with out regard to the actual display.

Will open a bug ticket shortly.

sdw162006
    Participant

Yes, we know there are still issues with dual monitor support. Multi-Edit only receives display coordinates when a user moves the window around, then remembers those coordinates. ME has no idea what monitor number it is currently displaying on. Multi-Edit’s support of dual monitors currently supports remembering where to put dialogs (XY coordinates). For user’s going back and forth between dual and single monitor setups, this can be a problem.

The problem was masked on our development machines because the video card driver handles remapping the windows to the proper display. That is done so that non dual-display capable programs are run on dual display computers, everything works out well.
    Not everyone is so lucky. As we found out, other video card drivers don’t handle the issue, and the individual programs must deal with the dual-monitors. Different video card drivers do different things in terms of what window coordinates the programs see, how to determine if a second monitor is enabled, if the second monitor is turned on, etc.

We are working on a fix, to query the video card drivers and MS Windows about a second display being in use, the individual display dimensions, and changing the window coordinates each time the dialog displays. Unfortunately, the video card drivers do not always have accurate information about the second display. It is possible for the second monitor to be turned off or unplugged, and MS Windows will still tell us that dual display is enabled. Without knowing IF a second monitor is in use or not, ME will continue to display the dialog in the same position as last used.

samej71
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve encountered similar issues with the main ME window, when I change from using the dual-monitor setup I have natively at work (where ME is on the secondary monitor) to the single-monitor support I have when I remote-desktop into the work computer from home. When I do this, ME remains off-screen at it’s last "good" position that it was when both monitors were active.

I simply right-click on the ME entry in the task bar and select "Move…" and hit one of the arrow keys on the keyboard once. Then I move my mouse and the window is "stuck" to it. Simply click the mouse button once to drop the window anywhere you want it.

If you get hit with a modal window that does not have a task bar entry, you can hit alt-space, down arrow once, [enter], any arrow key once, and then move your mouse and click to drop, just like before.

Yes, it’s not as elegant as the software detecting when it’s out-of-bounds natively, but at least it is a pretty easy work-around until functionality like that is built-in.

–James

John Martzouco
    Participant

Some users are getting an error on startup of ME, Vista shows a dialog that multiedit has stopped working, looking for solution. In the background the ME
    splashscreen is up.

After pressing debug, It says "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in
    Mew32.exe [5388]

We are working toward finding the cause of this error.[/quote:3bovlak9]

May I have the 10.04 fix for this please? I’m running into it now and want to continue using my editor on the new machine.

John Martzouco
    Participant

bump

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.