Windows Vista Compatibility

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support Windows Vista Compatibility

This topic contains 34 replies, has 26,347 voices, and was last updated by  Charles 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

John Martzouco
    Participant

Is there a fix for this, please?

ChadW
    Participant

John, no fix at this time, although it’s still high on the priority list.

Thanks for the bump!

John Martzouco
    Participant

Chad,

You’ve got 11.0 running on Vista, can you not apply the same underlying fix to the 10.x version?

John Martzouco
    Participant

You guys aren’t going to leave me stranded on this, right?

tlscales
    Participant

John – I think one of the goals of the new release was better support for Vista. Perhaps if this is what you need, an upgrade might solve your problem faster than waiting for a fix to the older version.

DanHughes
    Participant

Multi-Edit 10.05 does work correctly under Vista but as was stated earlier, Vista seems to only permits one version of a named executable to run at a time unless you turn UAC off. Since every version of Multi-Edit is named Mew32.exe, only one copy of it can be run without doing some special things to get them to work. Another possible reason why Multi-Edit 2006 has issues like this under Vista is it is trying to register its COM server every time it is run and that usually requires Admin privileges to do so. This behavior was caused by the version of the compiler we used. Multi-Edit 2008 is compiled with a much newer version of the compiler and thus doesn’t have this behavior so it appears to behave better under Vista.

If you right click on the Multi-Edit icon and select Run as Administrator, Multi-Edit should then work until you try using a different version. I’m doing this from memory as I’m not at my Vista system and even if I were, I’ve turned UAC off so don’t experience the problem anymore.

John Martzouco
    Participant

I can live with a single instance, thanks Dan.

I don’t have the time to rebuild all of my custom macros for the transition from .04 to .05… can I replace the entire MAC, MWL and Config folders in the 10.05 installation with those from the 10.04 and expect it to run properly?

I guess the inverse question is… can I just drop the .05 Mew32.exe in the .04 folder and have it run correctly?

I imagine that 10.05 is the end of the 10.x series?

Thanks,
    John

DanHughes
    Participant

Yes, 10.05 is the end of the 10.x series. All bug fixes and features are now being done on the 11.x series code base.

I believe you could copy over the *.exe and *.dll files from 10.05 into 10.04 but without doing a code review of what changed, I can’t say for sure if will work 100%. You will also miss out on all of the bug fixes as well as any new features which were added as most of the changes are usually done in the macro source.

One thing you might want to consider doing is to start using a version control program like Mercurial or Bazaar where you can create a local repository in your main Multi-Edit directory and put all of the system source into it. Then you can create a patch queue on top of the source and make your changes as patches. Then when a new version of Multi-Edit comes out, you could pop the patches off the stack, update Multi-Edit and its source files, then push your changes back on top of the new release. If there are any conflicts, you could easily fix them.

I have been doing something like this for new development of Multi-Edit. I can work on a feature until I get it fully complete and commit it as one unit and still have it under version control without having to commit each intermediate step into the main repository while still a work in progress.

I would highly recommend you upgrade to Multi-Edit 2008 as it has been compiled with a much newer version of Delphi and has eliminated a number of major shutdown issues with the release of v11.01. I believe it would be worth the effort to try to merge your changes into the new code base and using one of the above vcs programs, it would become much easier to maintain your changes in the future. If you would like to discuss in more detail what I’m recommending, please get in touch with me offline and I’ll help you all I can.

Another benefit of using one of the vcs program mentioned above and using a patch queue would be that sending changes to us would be much easier as a patch that could easily be applied to our code then tested and verified more quickly. We are more likely to accept changes to the macro if they are also being made to the latest released code base.

John Martzouco
    Participant

There are no features in 11.0 that interest me.

As long as 10.05 will run on Vista, I’ll stick to that. If and when I see something on the newer release cycle that interests me, I’ll take the time to upgrade and continue supporting your efforts.

Thanks.

DanHughes
    Participant

Better stability doesn’t interest you? :)

John Martzouco
    Participant

Nope. I’ve never had any trouble with stability.

John Martzouco
    Participant

Dan,

The 10.05 isn’t functional on my Vista. The 11.00 demo runs fine.

The 10.05 runs fine on my XP box.

I need more help please. How can I get the 10.05 to work on Vista? I tried the RunAsAdmin command, but it didn’t help. The company is forcing us to run under limited privilege accounts.

Thanks

John Martzouco
    Participant

bump

DanHughes
    Participant

I just installed Multi-Edit 2006 v10.05.00 onto my Vista system and it works correctly. Of course I have turned UAC off and can’t really test with it on as switching it on/off can cause problems that I don’t want to introduce into my test system at this time.

The problem is probably related to running in Limited access mode as Multi-Edit 10.x tries to register its COM server every time it is run and I believe that requires Admin rights. This "feature" is due to the way the Delphi 6 runtime library is written. Multi-Edit 11.x is compiled with Delphi 2007 which doesn’t have this "feature". It only needs to be registered once when being installed. Probably the only way to make 10.x work in Limited access mode it to recompile it with the latest version of Delphi and that probably isn’t going to happen as 10.x is no longer being developed.

John Martzouco
    Participant

Multi-Edit 10.05 does work correctly under Vista but as was stated earlier, Vista seems to only permits one version of a named executable to run at a time unless you turn UAC off.[/quote:kbbmvxy3]

I can live with this and I think that you should honor this claim.

If you need to build 10.x with the new Delphi to achieve this, I believe that you owe it to us based on your claim.

I just installed Multi-Edit 2006 v10.05.00 onto my Vista system and it works correctly. Of course I have turned UAC off and can’t really test with it on as switching it on/off can cause problems that I don’t want to introduce into my test system at this time.[/quote:kbbmvxy3]

I suggest that you build a VM machine with Vista with the UAC turned on. How can I trust that your product is going to work in this environment unless you’ve done *some bench testing on it?

You haven’t mentioned testing with LUA either and I’m interested in how much effort has been put into that?

Another benefit of using one of the vcs program mentioned above and using a patch queue would be that sending changes to us would be much easier as a patch that could easily be applied to our code then tested and verified more quickly. We are more likely to accept changes to the macro if they are also being made to the latest released code base.[/quote:kbbmvxy3]

The decentralized SCMs are overkill for generating patch files. Not that I won’t set one up some day, but my reality doesn’t have much use for them right now. If you want patch files, all you need to do is ask (without waiting 8 or ten months of course), they can easily be generated with WinMerge or the GnuWin32 diff.

I don’t have any trouble merging forward… but I have a volume of personal macros and changes to system code that cost me about ten evenings of work to port forward and test before I can trust the build for my day-to-day work… and I can’t afford to jeopardize my daily work.

ME allows me to be five to ten times mores productive than I can be with any other tools… and the cost for it is a long upgrade cycle… so I need to wait until I can reap significant benefit from the upgrade.

I need to prepare for Vista… but it could be a while before I actually need it, so that’s not enough.

Keeping up with the macro releases is expensive if you keep locking them up in new releases every two years. I don’t mind spending 40$ a year on this great product (factored cost of upgrading on the Microsoft two year cycle) but I need to see some improvement that merits my expense.

The only significant difference between 10.05 and 11.00 is the Vista functionality… which you’ve already reported works fine under 10.05.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.