Wordwrap

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support Wordwrap

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    EcoCode
    Participant

Hi,

I’m trying MultiEdit. I find it very powerful so I can’t believe it’s unable to load a TXT file and wrap it at end of screen or at configured column #.
    I want to configure it so it wordwrap all unknown file extensions or all files configured as wordwrap. And only when the extension is configured as not wordwrap load it as long lines….
    Also a WordWrap button in the toolbar will be great.
    Is multiedit 9 unable to do this simple thing?

TIA

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

ReidSweatman
    Participant

Yes, it does it, it just doesn’t do it automatically. You either have to select Text | Reformat Paragraph from the main menu, or do some editing on a line. Either one will cause the line to wrap at the margin set for the current extension. If it doesn’t, you’ve most likely set the right margin too far out.

To set the margin for unknown file extensions, set it in Text | Layout….

And to have a button that does this,

[*:29sqqeuj]go to Tools | Customize… from the main menu bar;[/*:m:29sqqeuj]
      [*:29sqqeuj]click the Toolbars/boxes button;[/*:m:29sqqeuj]
      [*:29sqqeuj]select Main on the Toolboxes dialog that appears;[/*:m:29sqqeuj]
      [*:29sqqeuj]click on the Edit button;[/*:m:29sqqeuj]
      [*:29sqqeuj]click on the spot in the list where you’d like the button to appear;[/*:m:29sqqeuj]
      [*:29sqqeuj]click on the Insert button;[/*:m:29sqqeuj]
      [*:29sqqeuj]find the Re-Format paragraph function in the list and select it.[/*:m:29sqqeuj][/list:o:29sqqeuj]
      When you’ve exited all the dialogs, you should have a new button in your main toolbar that does the same thing as the menu item.
    EcoCode
    Participant

Well, it’s something but it’s not what I want.
    The reformat paragraph command modifies the source file, also it merges paragraphs when there isn’t a blank line between.
    Is it planned a ‘normal’ wordwrap feature in the near future?
    TIA
    Regards,

DanHughes
    Participant

We are planning to add a real word wrap feature to Multi-Edit 9.1 since it will have the needed hooks to do so. It probably won’t be in the initial 9.1 release but will most likely be in the first update patch.

EcoCode
    Participant

Thank you for the information.
    I’ll test again multiedit in the future if I don’t find what I need now.

Regards,

LarryEdwards
    Participant

Dan,

(1) Word Wrap While Editing Text:

At present with MEW-9.1 word wrap works when editing text, EXCEPT when the character inserted is a space or a tab. This is when, for example, editing a .txt file. In the next release of 9.1.x I hope this will be corrected.

I would also be wonderful if word wrap could be user configured to be automatic (for selected file extensions), in both directions. That is, wrap a long line and following lines when text is inserted, and unwrap a paragraph as appropriate when text is deleted in a line.

(2) Line Wrap For Display-Only Purposes.

I think the person who started this thread was speaking to how long lines of text are displayed on-screen, as opposed to how they should wrap while text is being edited. I strongly support his concept. I have been using ME-DOS daily since v-3.0 and have just started (hopefully) moving over to MEW. A constant daily frustration is long lines of text — actually each line being a paragraph — that I cut from Windows programs (e.g. a browsed web page) and paste into a text file. The entire document has to be reformatted to be able to read the text in ME or MEW.

I suggest that a way be found to display long lines of text so they are readable, with some indication that the display-wrap-only lines are simply that, and not lines with hard CR/LF. This could be a colored indicator character left of the left margin, for example. Editing a line to make it do a “real word wrap” would then cause the indicator to be turned off.

— Larry

DanHughes
    Participant

Larry,

1) Multi-Edit allows spaces and tab character to be stripped from end of lines and thus they aren’t actually placed into the internal line buffer until a following pritable character is typed. This is the reason a space or tab character doesn’t currently cause the wordwrap feature to happen when typing past the right margin.

2) In a future patch release of Multi-Edit 9.10 we do indeed plan on adding the ability to do auto word wrapping of long lines. The wrapped line will be broken with a “soft return” which will cause the display to be wrapped but the actual line will not have any real line breaks in it.

Also planned is “visible” space, tab, and line ending characters.

LarryEdwards
    Participant

> Multi-Edit allows spaces and tab character to be stripped from end of lines and thus they aren’t actually placed into the internal line buffer until a following pritable character is typed.<

But what I am talking about, in addition to spaces at the end of a line, is spaces or tabs inserted at the beginning or end of an existing line.

Concerning a space placed at the end of a line, MEW should check to see if the line already extends past the right margin, and if so it should break the line at the appropriate column and wrap it. Space stripping should be applied as always. What I have described is how ME-DOS handles the situation, so no reason MEW shouldn’t do it also.

The planned soft return sounds good. Thanks for your efforts on that.

— Larry

EcoCode
    Participant

Line Wrap For Display-Only Purposes

Are there any news about when this feature will be available?

Thanks in advance

paul-white
    Participant

Line Wrap For Display-Only Purposes

Are there any news about when this feature will be available?

Thanks in advance[/quote:1sw2bs6q]
    Now that we have proper regex (almost complete but good enough for me), conventional word-wrapping is the only thing missing from Multi-Edit that I need. I can then stop using all my other editors.

Let’s hope MESI are already working on it. :D

EcoCode
    Participant

This feature seems really hard to implement….

Really are anybody working on wordwrap the files for display??

Regards,

DanHughes
    Participant

I have a question for users that want auto wordwrap support. How should we handle column blocks when a file is auto wordwrapped?

tlscales
    Participant

The block selection should be done on the real line, rather than the wrapped line (in other words, the block marking should act as though the wrap is not happening) — the wrap is for display purposes only, and shouldn’t affect the way column blocking (or any other non-stream or line oriented operation on the text) works.

BrentStroh
    Participant

Logically, I’d agree with tlscales, but from a customer support standpoint, that’s a hairball waiting to happen. :)

My initial thought on seeing the question this morning was that column blocks should be disabled if the file is soft-wrapped. Otherwise, you’re trying to ignore text that’s visibly in the column, which is sure to confuse users.

So far, after thinking about it for a while, I haven’t had a better idea.

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Column blocks… good point. Seems that graphical editing is at odds with display only line wraping.

Yes one could predict the new visual position of a character by getting the Mod and Rem of the line length versus the wrap length and moving down Mod lines and Adding Rem column positions….

But then each character in the block would have to be relocated for highlighting and the visual appeal of column block operations disapears.

Wraping lines works ok for text editors likle Vi because there are no mouse operations, and other than substitution RE’s you work one line at a time., or at one character position at a time (like del one char).

While at many times I might like lines to be visualy wraped at the display width, I would not always want that. But I must agree that when wraping is on I would have to giveup some editing techniques (like column block).

jm2c,
    Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.