Wordwrap

Home Forums Multi-Edit Support Wordwrap

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Michal Vodicka
    Participant

I’d agree with Brent and disable collumn blocks when wrap mode is on. Not only collum, also line blocks because there is similar problem (think about mode switch when block is marked). Only stream blocks should be allowed in this mode.

(Personally, I don’t understand why people want display wordwrap in programmers editor. Never missed it.)

BrentStroh
    Participant

(Personally, I don’t understand why people want display wordwrap in programmers editor. Never missed it.) [/quote:zb3495gm]

I suspect that a lot of folks aren’t looking for word wrap in a programmer’s editor. Instead, they’re seeing MEW as a Swiss army knife, and using it for a lot of things outside the initial scope.

I know that I often use MEW instead of Notepad when reading or writing text files as well, just because it’s so much more convenient and has a much larger feature-set.

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Would not want wordwrap for C, CMAC, ObjectPascal files but it would be usefull in HTML (SHTML, PHP) files. Often the content(ppg’s of text) for a page doen’t need to be on separate lines, unless you are trying to edit or make sence of it. Long anchor tags and the text they surround (that should not be broken with a newline as it causes buggy behavior in some browders) can extend beond the visible display area, wraping would be ok.

UNIX scripts with long lines created by using pipes between multiple commands (whith thier associated parms and options) could benifit from word wrap. Course that doesn’t come up much for me as ME does not run on UNIX so I use Vi.

Then there is ISPF panel language and the associated TSO Clist scripts that I use ME for. Even thought the lines cannot be longer than 72 chars, 72 chars will not fit in the visible area of ME’s display. Wrapping useful, or buy much bigger monitor?

With all the languages that ME supports it is a Swiss army knife, and I am sure that there are a few programming languages I don’t use that could take advantage of word wrap. Cobol anyone?

Oh yea, I often use Reid’s extension and template set for writing posts to this forum, soft word wrap would be great for that also. :wink:

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

OK, ignore me; I’m too conservative and my Swiss army knife has only two blades and two tools ;-)

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

They sell Swiss army knives with a 128MB memory chip on a USB connection. Now that’s a programmers SAK. :D

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

Great, now we can install MEW to Swiss army knife :D It could be nice idea to sell MEW with installation knife instead of CD ;-)

Clay Martin
    Keymaster

Michal, are you sure you don’t have a background in marketing???

What an Idea! Choose your distribution version:
    1 – download only
    2 – cd and book
    3 – instalation knife

I imagine some might pay the extra $20-30 for the knife release version. Now thats a portable tool kit. Might be good for people working on blade servers. :lol:

If the knife price could be reduced, one could hand out trial versions at conferences. Unique 8)

Michal Vodicka
    Participant

Yes Clay, I’m pretty sure :)

Unfortunately, USB knives are more expensive, what I found was about $50 – $100. But flash memory price is decreasing so I guess I should patent this idea anyway ;-)

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.